Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Short and Sweet. Full of Sap.

I can't help it but I'm feeling a bit sentimental over the fact that my baby is having a birthday next week. There is something about the overall quickness of babyhood that comes full circle once they turn one, and I'm finding it a little bitter sweet. This last year has been one of my favourite years for me so far. It turns out that after having a high needs fussy baby, I also had a text book baby as my second. Leaving me feeling pretty well rounded in the parenting department. I am so grateful to be able to have these babies and feel so much gratitude to be able to be a mother, their mother.






>

When I was pregnant with Josephine I was very adamant that this was my last baby. Pregnancy was physically hard for me and being a high risk pregnancy did cause some extra stress. Despite being truly exhausting, I love being a mother to babies. Am I truly finished having all of my babies? I don't think that I have reached a final decision just yet. I could be done... but I could also see myself holding one more newborn (but not anytime soon).

7 comments:

Leeanne Kirkland said...

It is so normal to feel all verklempt when your baby turns 1. That first year is packed with the most milestones and it is, in your words, bitter sweet.

January 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM  
Jenny said...

I can't believe it's been a year already....

January 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM  
Ashley said...

I say the same thing. I physically suck at pregnancy, I don't like the pain or the weight gain or the hospital visits/stays smattered through the whole thing but I LOVE my kids. I loved having babies and I'm loving having non-baby type kids too. I say we're done but in my heart, maybe just maybe one more?

January 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM  
Sarah M. said...

This has been such a wonderful year for you! I've enjoyed the sneak peaks into Josie's first year and seeing all her cuteness. It is bittersweet indeed.

You know, they say you know when you're done and it's final. Take it from me, after I had Cora, I knew I was done, the feeling was so strong that 10 min after she was born I blurted out "I'm so glad I never have to do that again!" lol However when #2 came along, I knew there was still an empty spot to fill in our family.

I was on the fence for the longest time trying to convince myself that 2 was sufficient, but it wasn't and Cora claimed her rightful spot in our hearts and lives. SOOOOh I believe that you will have a 3rd. You are an AMAZING mum to Ben and Josie and I am sure there is space for another. =)

I will miss pregnancy and the newborn stage, even the sleepless nights Cora continues to put me through. But knowing our family is complete makes me excited to "get on with life" and give our children new experiences that sometimes otherwise get put aside while there is a babe around. Ooops that kinda turned towards me, sorry.

SOAK up the last days of Josie's first year and get excited as she turns 1 b/c as we all know, it gets even more fun after 1!

January 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh, I so know those feelings that come with approaching one year! Baby love! Babies are incredible. Although I know that I am good with two children, I often wonder how I could have more "baby" in my life. I just love love love babies!

January 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM  
AliRose said...

I sooo love your love of babies. It is refreshing to hear someone focus so much on the wonderfulness of babies because the hard parts can be overwhelming. I love your perspective, and I agree, there's just nothing like that first year. My baby just turned 1 as well, and I'm a bit sentimental about it as well. Even IF I also sort of love this stage we're in now. Good luck going back to work Andrea, I will be thinking of you and your family during the transition. Can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

January 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM  
mitzerella said...

the master bedroom will become the new shared bedroom for the 3 kids, and parents move into the smaller room! a family of five, apartment, downtown living? it can be done!

January 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails