Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

My Favourite Thing To Do

One of my favourite activities to do is to have a quite soak in a warm bath. Alone. Just me and a trashy magazine and a plethora of bathing products. I usually don't just have a plain water bath, I'm always adding something to the tub to make it an experience rather than just a chance to get clean. I might drizzle in some aromatherapy oils, bath salts or maybe some bubbles. I pair my soak nicely with my use of body scrubs, facial masks and anything else that I might have in stock!




"He'd snuggle in on my big pregnant tummy and feel the baby kicking at his cheek and I'd just soak in the warmth. When I remind him of these morning baths we had together he has no memory of them at all, but I do and they are dear to me."



If my children had it their way they would hop right into the tub with me every chance they got, bringing in their water toys, bath books and stacking cups to play with. Of course, on occasion, I do haul them into the tub with me but it isn't a truly relaxing soak. It is more about playtime, or a time killer, or even a mood reset for a case of the grumps. A bath is almost purely medicinal when it comes to fussy babies or upset children!

Last year when I was pregnant I'd wake up with a lot of pain everywhere. Even my fingers ached badly by the end of that pregnancy. So, every morning just after I woke up I'd draw a warm bath and heave my big belly into the tub, letting Ben play in the water by my feet. It gave me moments of not having to do anything but also the comfort and joy of being with my tiny boy as he played with me watching. He'd snuggle in on my big tummy and feel the baby kicking at his cheek and I'd just soak in the warmth. When I remind him of these morning baths we had together he has no memory of them at all, but I do and they are dear to me.

I have pretty strong memories of my mum taking a bath when I was a girl. Sometimes she'd allow us to come in and chat to her while she soaked. My childhood self thought that she must really enjoy having me their in the bathroom with her during her bath. Why wouldn't she want one of her children with her at all times? Now I know that she was merely just appeasing my entrance and would have probably really enjoyed being left alone.

Of course, I have a list of my very favourite bath products and they range from drugstore finds to boutique splurges. This past Christmas stocked me up very well in the product department and I currently have many new bottles and sachets to last many many baths. If you aren't sure what to buy me as present you can be sure that I will always appreciate anything bath related.


Let's hear it for bath bombs from Lush! Scrubs from Khiels! Lotions and potions from Skoah! Mmmm hmm! This girl is in heaven as I've currently been gifted all of these lovely products!

Are you a bathing beauty like me? Do tell!

1 comments:

Kristin said...

Holy cow! I just realized how much I am NOT a bathing beauty! ; ) I practically can't relate to this at all. ; ) And its no surprise that you have great memories of your mom bathing, while I have no recollection of my mom ever taking a bath (showers of course!). Those family ideas and rituals being passed down, isn't it. I am such an in and out kind of girl when it comes to showers and baths. Maybe I should try to soak a little. We do have two amazing smelling bath products from LUSH that my girls and I love - Snow Fairy bath gel and the Candy Cane bubble bath bar. I will have a soak with my girls when we have these on hand, but I am always the first outta the tub! ; )

January 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails