Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

My Meatballs: A Tale Of Cooking

One of my goals for this maternity leave was to get better at making dinner for my family. My problem stemmed from my actual disinterest in having to prepare meals. Which is probably because I was spoiled for many many years when my husband was the main cook and cooked every-single-meal. Then with adding children into the mix, I became more of the family cook but have a hard time enjoying the process.

Tonight I made spaghetti and meatballs. Which sounds like a quick throw it together kind of dinner but I cook for my gourmet loving husband. Who happens to be a fantastic chef, one of the reasons I fell in love with him, and he can season to absolute perfection. He also dislikes store bought tomato sauce and knows a thing of two about making a mean meatball. So, I stopped buying store bought spaghetti sauces and have been making my own sauce for months and it's so simple and satisfying to put together.














I buy cans of high quality Italian canned whole tomatoes and throw them into the pot along with some sautéed onions and garlic. I salt and pepper, add a dash of olive oil and let the apartment fill up with the delicious smells. The meatballs come next and I follow a loose recipe from my husband that includes grated parmesan cheese.

Tonight, along with my meatballs, I made spaghetti squash for the very first time after hearing many rave reviews. It turns out that it's delicious and very kind on my blood sugar. Win! Win! I think that this could be a healthy replacement to pasta once in awhile and it's a great way to get in some vegetables. The only thing I'll do differently next time is drain the squash after I 'spaghetti' it, as it left a bit of water on the dinner place.

We dished up Josie some meatballs and the girl tucked into a very hearty meal. Knowing she enjoys feeding herself we anticipated a saucy mess during the process. Out came a big sheet that went underneath her highchair and all clothing was removed and we sat back and watched her dine. There was gusto and enjoyment and the meal concluded with a major hose down in the shower and a happy baby.






Baby giving props to the chef

When dinners go like this I feel a certain satisfaction and happiness. I'd even go so far to say that tonight I enjoyed cooking dinner and hope that the same inspiration will find me tomorrow. Who cooks dinner in your house?

4 comments:

Tara said...

Another great replacement for pasta noodles is zuchini noodles. (zoodles?)

If you can get your hands on a julienne peeler, try julienning a big zuchini (only go as deep as the seeded core). Just a little something different and I think the texture is a wee bit closer to that of actual pasta (although definitely not exact).

January 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM  

Oh boy did she enjoy that meal! Nothing better than a baby covered in tomato sauce.

I do most of the cooking but that's because I enjoy cooking. I am not gourmet chef like your husband though! :)

January 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM  

Cute little baby you got there.

I do most of the cooking, mostly based on my own interest (nutrition degree - I am baffled by dietitians who have zero interest in cooking), but my husband has been itching to get back into cooking himself. I'm all for it! (But will have to admit to backseat cooking and driving him crazy...but, but he burns garlic! uses crazy amounts of oil! Ah, but that's how you learn. And I will learn to ZIP IT!)

January 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM  
Anonymous said...

Josie is so stinking cute! Your recipe sounds super yummy & super easy - I will have to try it out :D

January 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails