Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

This Is What Life Looks Like

Order has been restored in our family! A week of a sick baby threw our whole balance off as I focused all my energy on the baby and worried about her to no end too. I'm a natural worrier and I come by it honestly! It is like I can't even help myself from going 'there' and my brain starts to over think everything. Which is a good quality in a RN but an exhausting one as a mother.

Dishes piled up on the kitchen counters, teetering more than 10 plates deep. Laundry kept accumulating and I resorted to throwing it all into the bath tub (to either try and hide it or keep it all together in one place, I'm not sure). Poor little Ben had his feelings hurt a few different times when I insisted he watch one more TV show because, 'mama is busy with the baby Ben! She's been sick!'. This is life. Oh, this is life.

Phone calls have mostly been returned and emails that sat piled up are slowly being answered. It's amazing that when different facets of your every day life come to a sudden halt they can easily be picked right back up when given the chance.

I was tired and weary this past Saturday and felt the emotions of the previous week sitting high on my shoulders. I am definitely that person who internalizes stress and I feel it physically. But today was another day and it was a good day. We spent the entire time outside, playing in the grass and sipping coffee. We lunched on a patio and visited a toy shop. There was ice cream and laughter and 1,000 smooches for Josie, who is on the mend.

















11 comments:

kristin said...

so glad to hear that your little girl is feeling better!! what sweet pictures! ice cream always makes long weeks the best!! hoping this week is a relaxing and fun one for you!!

August 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM  
melissa blake said...

These photos are so cute!!

August 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM  
Michelle said...

So glad to hear your baby girl is on the mend. I just came across your blog from a comment you left on "Cup of Jo". I'm a fellow Vancouverite! :) I'm looking forward to reading more on your blog. The talk about getting pregnant/having a baby while we live downtown always comes up and it's interesting to see how you have and still do balance it. Beautiful photos btw -Michelle {LiveLoudly}

August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM  

Hey Michelle, thanks for stoping over! Yes, we are right downtown and we love it. So many parks are now our backyard and the city is very walkable. We still have that neighbourhood family feel; the cashiers at the grocery shop know us by name and we have play dates with our apartment neighbours! The biggest obstacle is cost! Oi!

August 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM  

Thanks Melissa :) I love the one of Ben and his ice cream cone. He was really in the moment.

August 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM  

Yes me too! So far Monday has been somewhat relaxing. Goal this week: eat healthy. My stress last week ended up with me devouring half of a pizza (two different times). Ack!

August 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM  
Michelle said...

Awesome insights. This totally gave me more confidence to move downtown and be comfortable with having a child there. Oh I know what you mean about prices! We live in Port Moody and the condo prices are slowly creeping up there. Time for a new job! lol

August 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM  
Molly W. said...

I'm so glad your little one is feeling better! Having a sick baby is so sad for everyone involved. Also that looks like a yummy treat big brother Ben!

August 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM  

sounds like the reset button has been pressed. glad to read this. coffee outside on a blanket under the sun - lovely.

August 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM  

Yes, that reset button came along just perfectly!

August 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM  

Totally agree with you Molly. Little Ben just asked me this morning, 'is the baby still sick or is she all better?'. He was worried about the baby big time.

August 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails