Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Listening To My Mother's Intuition

My sweet little baby was quite ill yesterday and required a trip to the local children's hospital. My mother's intuition had kicked in the day before and I just knew that something was brewing. I texted my husband at work and told him, 'I think the baby is sick' and despite the fact that she was still full of her usual smiles there was this little niggling feeling that I could not ignore.

I am so thankful to live somewhere that has great medical care that I can access without any major traveling. I am thankful for nurses who are skilled in not only compassion but assessments and hands on skills. I am really thankful for drugs and antibiotics that work too.


Even with a ridiculously high temperature my girl was still all smiles.


I didn't think that I would cry when my baby had to have a procedure done but I did. I tried to hold it in and put on my nurses hat on but it didn't work. My nose openly ran all over the place as I tried my best to comfort my sad sad baby; it was reinforced that that I am a mother before I am a nurse.

When my girl wouldn't settle on the hospital stretcher I crawled up on to the bed with her and nursed her in her favourite position. Her on her side curled up into my body. It was so calming and in that moment I was more than happy that I could give her the comfort of nursing.


Nursed to sleep in the hospital stretcher

Last night we were able to bring her home and we spent the whole night together snuggled up in my bed. Just her and me. She slept and slept so peacefully and woke up smiling and I am so thankful.



13 comments:

So glad that your sweet girl is feeling better. I had to take Jack to Children's Hospital in June. He was having a hard time breathing. Although he hasn't been officially diagnosed, he seems to have allergy induced asthma. The service at the hospital was excellent. The nurses not only put me at ease, but were kind to my daughter who had to wait with us and to Jack. I feel so fortunate to have a medical system that is there when you need and to live so close to a children's hospital.

August 23, 2012 at 8:21 AM  
Sheryl said...

Glad she (and you) are feeling better now. I remember when my boy was sick at age 2 and went to Children's for a plethora of tests (found out he has kidney disease), I was so glad that he was still nursing, as it was such an effective way to comfort him after each procedure. Like you, I am a mother before I am a nurse, and boy was I a mess trying to hold back my tears in the Children's ER.

August 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM  
Helen Engel-Gray said...

I almost cried when I saw that picture of Josie lying on the stretcher on her side, asleep with IV's hooked into her :( I think mommies share a heart for all babies, because before I had kids I wasn't really all that empathetic to moms, but now? It's like every baby is *my* baby.

Glad she's OK and that you were courageous enough to act on your instincts!

August 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM  

Thanks Helen. I agree with you totally. Hearing the other babes in the ER was heart wrenching. Some were really really serious sick and there cries for their mamas had me tearing up a bit.

August 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM  

Glad to hear we were in the same mom/nurse boat. I really really tried so hard to keep it all together but I just could not it together like I was hoping I could. Even the self pep talk did not work!

August 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM  

I spent a lot of time in the hospital when I was quite young for asthma. Actually, my hospital visits/stays is what interested me in becoming a nurse. It is seriously really tough when our kids are sick. Hate it!

August 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM  
Ashley S said...

So sorry to hear she was sick! We truly know how difficult it is to have sick babies and to be in hospital with them. We also know full well the great blessing in the hospitals, the doctors and especially the nurses who work the peds area of those hospitals - they love your baby too! Hope she's better and the temp is all gone!

August 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM  
mitzi said...

i would freak out if Max was sick. i think i may be the type of family member the nurses don't really like hehe


i'm glad she's better. Was it an initial change in extremity color that got you worried?

August 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM  

Oh goodness. This post has me all welled up. So grateful to hear that your little babe is on the mend. I just love "mother's instinct" - such a sign of attachment! Your line "I am a mother before I am a nurse." is beautiful!

August 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM  

Oh it is horrible Mitzi. I think especially when they are so wee! Baby J was acting out of sorts the day before and then woke up very warm and tachy. She was extra cuddly and just wanted to be held and cuddled. Then after I was nursing her I noticed her hands and feet were a purple/blue colour. HUH? So, I took off her clothing just in case it was something as simple as too tight of clothing. Then she got blue lips and gums. She was still smiling but shivering. She had a temp of 40. Poor bubs. By the time I got to the ER she was pink again but still tachy and febrile. Turns out it was a UTI and we caught it nice and early before she had any blood infection or kidney involvement. She is still out of sorts today and I am still doing my nurses 'head to toe' assessment on her ;)

August 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM  

I know you of all moms get the whole grief/anxiety around when your babes are sick. My girl is still not 100% today but no fever so that is good. It's heartbreaking when they are so little and can't tell you what hurts.

August 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM  

Ah, thank you Kristin. You made me smile. Josie is very keen on being very close to me after our hospital trip. I want to let all the housework pile up just so I can snuggle her.

August 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM  
mitzi said...

head to toe on adults is like second nature to me. but head to toe ax on babies seem really foreign, even though they're SO small. Things I can quickly assess are demeanor, LOC, gums, extremities, body temp without a thermometer?


i hope my mom spidey sense kicks in when vital!

August 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails