Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

September As A New Year

For me there are two different official starts to the year. In one corner there's January as the traditional start to the year. January is filled with hope and expectations and the traditional New Year resolutions. In the other corner we've got September, which for me is another chance to kick start the year! September is my second New Year mostly due to all the years when it meant going back to school. There was always a certain freshness that came with brand new school supplies ready to be devoured by the upcoming year. Since we have obvious shifts in seasons in Vancouver September will always be my unofficial start to another new year.


October, 2010

As summer comes to a close I'm feeling a special excitement about Fall. I insisted on celebrating by going out and buying a new pair of lovely flats. Shoes that will soon enough take the place all my Summertime flip flops that I've been hanging out in. As the days get shorter I've even started to dream about baking apple crumbles and burning my favourite spice scented candles well into the evenings. I'm really a big fool over everything to do with Fall.

This September Ben is heading to a new Junior Kindergarten program and I've had a fun time picking out a back pack and buying him a few new school clothes. He will be going every morning for 3.5 hours and I know he will thrive and love it. So, once again September means back to school in our family. I'm looking forward to the crisp walks along the seawall each morning as we walk to school together. We've already spotted the leaves changing colour from that healthy green hue to the vibrant orange and golden colours of Fall. I can feel the extra nip in the air and I'm enjoying the warmth of the sunshine and the coziness of my light sweater. It's almost Fall and I'm loving it.

What is your favourite part of the upcoming Fall season? I'm sure there are a few of you who are excited for Pumpkin Spiced lattes....and maybe wearing socks?

17 comments:

Helen Engel-Gray said...

Autumn is my favourite season! The crunch of leaves beneath my feet, the warm hues of golden yellows, apple reds, and pumpkin orange, the crisp breeze, the scent of fall... it's a magical time filled with great anticipation and fond memories. This year it's bittersweet since I am not teaching anymore, but I will try to spend as many glorious fall mornings outside as I possibly can, celebrating the season and reminiscing with a latte in my hand ;)

August 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM  

I am with you. September is like a New Years for me too. I let me workout regime go this summer, so I hope to get back into a routine again. Sarah starts Kindergarten and Jack starts pre-school so it has been fun getting backpacks and Mabel's Labels. I would love to know what flats you bought. I need some new work clothes for my new job. Please share.

August 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM  
Ashley S said...

Fall is the only reason I survive Summer, it's promise of reprieve is my carrot. I can't list enough things about my Fall love, clothing that covers everything, cool mornings and crisp evening walks and Starbucks brings out their Christmas cups! I use a stainless mug 99% of the time but I can't wait each year to get my 1 Starbucks red Christmas cup. Oh and Christmas carols start in Fall in our house.

August 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM  
Tarable said...

Fall is my absolute favourite time of year. Love everything about it! I'm also a huge fan of September and the fresh start that it brings.

August 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM  
Molly W. said...

I love everything about fall but I'm most excited to share my love for it with my son. I can't wait to show Parker how beautiful fall can be in WI, the pumpkin patch, apple orchards, and more.

August 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM  

Yes! I remember being so excited with Ben's first Autumn fun. Pumpkin patch fun is a classic parenting milestone.

August 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM  

Tara we are totally on the same page.

August 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM  

Okay..I love love love your exuberance with the changing seasons. I also dig sweater weather! Bring it on.

August 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM  

Both of my sisters are teachers and heading back to a fresh school year. I bet you are in the same boat as them with September being strong for 'back to school' newness. Good luck with starting the school year!

August 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM  

HI!
I discovered your blog after reading a post on ENJOYING THE SMALL THINGS.
Anyway, love your photos, blog and stories. What a wonderful family and outlook you have.
We are in Calgary, and it is always great to read other Canadian Mom blogs.
Look forward to following you!!

August 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM  

this post so speaks to me! i love love love the transition to fall. very much a new start in my mind as well. i cannot wait for my school break (the month of september) to start getting into all things fall....although i will say that for the first time in a while, this summer will be hard to say good bye too. it has been so great for us. thankfully fall is my favourite time of year...and i have a trip planned with my husband! yay!

August 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM  
Kristina said...

Have been
reading your blog for awhile now (but haven’t commented) and love reading about
your life. I’m hoping to have a baby in the next 3-5 years and its so exciting
to me to see all your beautiful pictures. I had to comment when I saw your post
about fall. I live across the water in Victoria and I LOVE fall. Most people on
the island complain during the summer about it not being hot enough and then
once fall comes they complain about the cold and the rain but I welcome the
rain and chillier mornings in August. To me that means fall is almost here. I
love the crunchy, beautiful leaves that fall. I love cuddling up on the couch
and reading cuddled with my dog or watching a movie with my husband. I even
love going on long morning walks during the work week with my dog in the mostly
darkness and watching the sun come up! And, of course, it means that Christmas is
on its way as well!

August 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM  
Amanda said...

Gorgeous fall photo! Part of me looks forward to fall things like pumpkin pie and turning leaves, but I do love summer and mourn its passing a little.

August 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM  

You're totally right Amanda. Summer in Vancouver is one of the best times and filled with endless possibilities of awesome things to do. I love that small time right at the end of Summer before Autumn takes over in full rainy force. A day like today is my perfect type of Vancouver weather.

August 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM  

Hey! Thanks so much for saying hello. Fall in Victoria is really nice. Especially the walks through UVIC or along the harbour. I spend a good hunk of time visiting my family in Victoria. We always joke that my mum, who lives in Victoria, likes to one up us on the weather...because it is usually just a tiny bit nicer in Victoria than it is on the main land!

August 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM  

Hey Sandra..thanks for stopping by. I'm going to go check out your blog about your Wee Bean! Love connecting with other Canadian mothers :)

August 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM  
Kristina said...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails