Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

My Housewife Shoes

Yesterday I was given a pair of yellow shoes for my birthday. They were a gift from my husband who had seen me staring at them in a shop window last month. While I was peering into the closed shop I told him that those shoes could be my 'housewife' shoes. I don't really identify with being a housewife, and I think the term is majorly outdated, but these shoes called for a bit of a retro name.

They looked easy to slip on, which is vital when you are holding a baby on your hip and ushering a preschooler out the door, and I thought they were lady like with a bit of chilled elegance. Plus they looked comfortable and that is a big factor for me. Really, it was a win win situation overall!



While my sense of style has changed over the years I still like to look put together every day, that part has not changed about me. However, I don't take hours in the bathroom each morning doing my hair and instead only wash my hair about twice a week. I alternate between leaving it down and putting it in a top knot or a ponytail. I have a 5 minute make up regime that I've perfected to give me just enough of a put together look. Sometimes I even give my skin a break and totally skip all make up in favour of just some sun protection.

If you run into me on the street you can guarantee that I'll have some earrings on and a pair of shades. When the weather turns cooler I'm often accessorizing with a scarf and as much as I do love the warm sunshine I can also really get behind sweater season.

What makes you feel put together and ready for your day?



10 comments:

huntersprize said...

I have to shower! Otherwise, my hair is a mess (it's curly and very long) and I need to feel clean. But I don't spend forever putting on makeup or doing my hair, I can be ready in 20 minutes! Which is about how long the baby girl naps in the mornings, lucky me.

August 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM  
Sarah M. said...

I HAVE to have mascara on, never leave the house w/o it. Those are some good ''housewife"shoes for sure. I was reading in anticipation of what they looked like before I scrolled down! Hope you had a wonderful day.

August 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM  
Amanda said...

I have completely let myself go lately, since I'm feeling like an elephant and it's hot outisde, but usually I have a 5 minute makeup routine, a necklace or earrings, and ballet flats helping me out in the style department.

August 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM  

I think pregnancy is another category all together! I remember when I was in the last month with Josie and I just felt so huge and was happy if I was crammed into some maternity jeans...which were always taken off as soon as I got home ;)

August 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM  

Well, they aren't high heel sex shoes which might constitute some 'housewife' shoes for some mamas ;) hehe.

August 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM  

Oh yes! I remember the attempts at getting put together when Josie was really tiny. Lots of ponytail days for sure. Lucky for me it was Wintertime and a big jacket and a scarf really did a lot to make me look put together.

August 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM  
Tarable said...

First off - HUGE points for your sweet husband who saw you oogling a pair of shoes and then went out and bought them for you as a gift??? Very cool.
For me, I need mascara at the bare minimum. Freshly shaved legs and moisturized skin is also a pretty big feel-good. Otherwise, I am also a scarf accessorizer in the cooler months and I have a few key pieces of jewelry that I wear year round. There's also something about an elevated heel that makes me feel complete!

August 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM  

I love your new shoes. What a great husband!


Ummmmmmm, I am not cool at all. My getting ready consists of pulling a brush through my hair. I don't like to look in the mirror because I am not very pretty. I just rush out of the house and hope for the best. I find that the most important thing I can put on any day is my smile. It makes all the difference.

August 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM  

definitely a scarf in any season except summer. in summer i choose a pair of sunglasses and some lip gloss! i have FINALLY in the last year of my life, really really really made an effort to change up my earrings, throw on a necklace and perhaps a bracelet....Oh my what a difference! I love looking for affordable fun pieces! ; ) Great shoes on you!

August 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM  
blue0116 said...

Différents biens moncler veste femme textures doivent être coordonnés produit des caractéristiques écharpe et divergentes de bonne foi spirituelle de la population denim Pour ceux qui suivent un Doudoune Moncler sur le sens que quelqu'un vente tranquille, alors vous aurez des efforts courts bas l'ombre coupe-vent vibrant de couleurs, en utilisant un couple de faible hausse denim denim ou détendu - aucune ombre de ce que la couleur obstacle, aider votre douceur plus apparente. Qu'est-ce moncler en ligne spéciale.
dsf

August 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails