Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Showing My Age

The other day I was sitting in my car, staring at my hands holding on to the steering wheel, and I noticed my hands are aging. The skin is looser and extra soft and I can make wrinkles appear and disappear with a flex of my fingers. If I clench my fist and then relax my hand, I can see the age creep up in slow motion.

While I'm only 32 years old, these hands have already done a lot. I'm already telling my future old lady self to take notice right now. One day there will be deep burrowed wrinkles and skin so soft that it moves back and forth with ease.


Photo credit


These hands of mine have done many things to acquire their age so far. They've held the hands of dying patients who were all alone in their last moments on earth. My hand stroking the top of their hand; back and forth, back and forth quietly and gently. Squeezing them to let them know that I was right there with them.

My hands have compressed the chest of a newborn who needed their heart to start beating; fingers poised and ready to go, up and down, up and down. They've caught the slippery life of a brand new baby coming into this world with a sudden rush.

My hands have held my lover's hands in soft embrace. So frequently we've held hands that I'm sure I could pick out his among others without looking. I've poked my fingers at least a million times to squeeze out a tiny drop of scarlet blood to test my blood sugar, aging my skin just a little bit more.

Right now they have a subtle brush of tan coating on the tops, a direct result of pushing my stroller in the sunshine. One day the day will come and I will look down at the deep deep crevices and wonder when did it all happened. When did I grow old? I will gratefully remind myself about all that they have touched and this moment that made me stop.

12 comments:

kristin said...

such a beautiful post andrea.  i love how journalling/blogging becomes an incredible way to make notes to ourselves for the future.  no doubt that your future self will feel grateful of this reminder of the journey your hands have taken.  

May 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM  
Heidi said...

Andrea, I echo your previous reader - such a lovely, beautifully written post.  Thanks for this reminder to stop and remember all our hands have done, touched, accomplished.
 

May 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM  
Mitzi said...

Absolutely lovely.  I love this post.
Funny how rigorous I am with my face.  Washing, toning, exfoliating, moisturizing twice daily.  Yet I don't give my hands the same love.

May 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM  
H Fancott said...

Beautiful post. But I must say, your skin is GORGEOUS having just seen you in person post-baby. I am green with envy.

May 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM  

SO very true! I really love going back to my blog posts when Ben was a babe and reading about how I felt things were going. Some things you actually sort of forget, and it is a nice to have them blogged!

May 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM  

I think that as nurses our hands do a lot and touch a lot of people (metaphorically and actually!) along the way.

May 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM  

So, someone who read this post just told me that you should apply your face regime on your hands as both face/hands skin is thin and fragile. So, dab a bit of the extra moisturizer on to your hands when you are done :) I totally UNDER moisturize my hands. Even worse when I was working and would wash my hands dozens of times a shift.

May 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM  

Well, you are just too kind! I will graciously accept your very kind comment.

May 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM  
Erin said...

What a lovely post! 

I have really noticed my hands getting brown from walking around with a pushchair. I've started being much more rigorous with the sunscreen on my hands!

May 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM  

I just slathered my hands with moisturizer...hehe! Totally need to do the sunscreen a bit more frequently too.

May 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM  
blue0116 said...

dilemme unique de cette Sac Louis Vuitton a également toujours que de nombreuses entreprises de créer sosie sacs pour votre prix de vente plus abordables. Cette société doit constamment être à la recherche d'une violation de marque afin de s'assurer qu'elle peut maintenir le style de base et la conception unique au sein du marché actuel.czv

August 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails