Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Mama In The City Gets Wheels

I've been a carless city girl for the last 8 out of the 9 years that I've lived downtown. The first year I had an old car that mostly sat in my parking spot. I've rented and I've Zipped but never did 4 wheels ever belong to me. Living car free was an easy lifestyle as a single gal, I walked a lot and took taxi cabs as needed. I flew on the float plane to go and visit my family and it was never a big deal for me not to have a set of wheels.

Then came my first baby and being carless became a bit more work. More effort and planning took place to book cars and haul carseats, but I did it for the last 3.5 years. I even wrote a blog post about how much I loved using Zip Cars in the past. When our second baby came outings became a bit more of a big deal and it wasn't as easy to be a carless family.

For the last 4 months I rocked the carless mama gig and walked everywhere with our train of a stroller, but it was becoming more of a big deal to do outings that required me to go further than my own little hood. So, the other week I bought a car. A four door hatchback with a bit of zoom zoom to it to be exact.

It turns out that I love having a car. I still am walking places, pushing my stroller train, but I'm able to do a bit more. All those friends out of town may actually see me a bit more often! I'm digging having a hatchback and have already broken in my brand new crumb free car by having a hatchback picnic while waiting for the ferry last weekend.


Ben was so excited to have a snack in the back of the car! Even Josie got in on the relaxing.




Moon roof!

5 comments:

kristin said...

Zip zip and zoom zoom!   How fun!  Its neat how you don't know what you're missing, until you have it, eh?  Being car free is totally awesome, but having freedom with a car is pretty cool too!  Happy, and safe travels to you! 

May 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM  
Zahira said...

Just wanted to say hello from the other end of the world. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and I'm a 38 yr old mother of 2 (3yr old boy and 6 month old girl). I love reading your blog. Been reading it for about 2 years and enjoy your posts. Your kids are beautiful, your pics lovely and your little adventures inspiring! Thanks for making me smile, think and do more with my kids :-)

May 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM  
Sarah M. said...

Well congrats on the new car, your life just got easier for sure with 2 in tow.  I love how you so nonchalantly stated "So the other week I bought a car."  lol.  Enjoy all the places you can access faster and less stressful now!!  

May 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM  
babushkamama said...

hi there,
I've nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award! Check it out!

http://babushkamama.com/2012/05/24/time-for-sharing-the-beautiful-blogger-award/

May 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM  
blue0116 said...

dilemme unique de cette Sac Louis Vuitton a également toujours que de nombreuses entreprises de créer sosie sacs pour votre prix de vente plus abordables. Cette société doit constamment être à la recherche d'une violation de marque afin de s'assurer qu'elle peut maintenir le style de base et la conception unique au sein du marché actuel.df

August 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails