Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Becoming Big Brother Benji

People are always asking me, 'how is Ben adjusting to the baby'? It was something I was curious about when I was sitting at home with a big belly while Ben played next to me. When I was sitting on the hospital bed after Josie was born, waiting for him to burst through the door to meet his new sister, I felt anxious about how my first baby would react to having to share his mama.







He was my vibrant high needs baby that grew into this sweet gentle boy. He is sensitive and caring and worries when people are unhappy or sad. He picks up on things when you are feeling grumpy or are in a great mood. The morning after I had given birth to Josie my husband went back home for a sleep. I was still recovering in the hospital and when Ben woke up he asked where the baby was. Why can't she come home? He was upset briefly when he asked what her name was. He did not like the name Josie and thought that 'baby Dinosaur' was a much more appropriate name. So we let him have that one officially.

When we did bring the baby home Ben was so excited and very happy to welcome Josie into our home. He was intrigued when I nursed her and still will sit and watch her nurse. He has not once been jealous of her or her unhappy when she needs me and we have to stop playing. Each morning he runs into my room to greet her and yells out, 'happy morning time baby!' and that never gets old.



He has adjusted to his new role so well and that makes me feel so good. There is so much love in his little body and he is truly big brother Benjamin.

8 comments:

Mitzi said...
Amanda said...

So sweet! What's the age difference between the two?  (I'm taking notes.) ;)

March 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM  
Ariana Lyriotakis said...

Truly adorable! It's amazing the capacity such a young child can have to love freely and indiscriminately... Ben is relishing his role as a big brother, and as time goes on, you will see that birth orders are 'meant to be' and you'll probably never imagine your sweet son as anything other than the eldest big boy, who is gentle with his family. When I had my second, I kept waiting for my daughter to show signs of jealousy towards her baby brother - but they never came. They are now, at 5.5 yrs-old and 3.5 yrs-old, the best of friends. Now we are expecting #3 in July and the adoration that both of them offer up is astonishing. ps: Your photos are especially fabulous in this post - the one of Ben jumping, in particular. Baby Josie looks so smiley and happy - great job, Mama in the City!

March 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM  
Sarah said...

So so sweet. My first daughter, Elizabeth, wasn't has high needs as Ben, but she was definitely up there on the neediness scale. She too has turned into a sensitive, loving older sibling. It's the dearest thing to see, my first baby falling so naturally in love with my new baby. Makes my heart nearly burst. 

March 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM  

Ariana! You leave the best post comments! Thanks for your sweet words and best wishes with baby #3 coming this Summer. I love that pic of Ben jumping too. He was SO excited in that moment.

March 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM  

Ben was almost 3.5 when Josie was born. So far it has been the perfect age difference for our family. He is able to entertain himself for periods of time, he is helpful and really attentive to the baby. We only waited that amount of time because we were so scared to have another baby. Ben wasn't easy on us back in the day ;)

March 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM  

It is so true. My heart bursts each time he kisses or pets her little head. Today a lady came up to us and cooed over the baby and called Josie a 'HE'. Ben was on the defence right away. It was cute.

March 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails