Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Goodbye Nurse Amy

It was time for baby Josie to be born and I was admitted into the exact same room where I had given birth to Ben 3 years before. It felt sweet and calm to be back in the same space as a patient. I had attended so many other births there and I was always reflective whenever I was back there as a nurse.

This time around it was a Thursday and a lot of my coworker friends were on shift. I was just hanging out in my room and had a slow but steady stream of friends coming by. Some just dropped by to say a friendly hello, others gave me fist pumping encouragement, and others did this...



This is nurse Amy. She did the booty dance for me in early labour and I loved every minute of it.




Amy is a fantastically well rounded nurse and all of her Vancouver patients have been so lucky to have her at their births. She is known to go on crazy hikes and runs post night shift and makes a mean batch of peanut butter cookies. Amy is leaving beautiful Vancouver and taking a permanent road trip to Ontario. Obviously, I am so sad to see her go.

We are all going to miss you nurse Amy!


Nurse Amy at work in my labour room

2 comments:

kristin said...

Nurse Amy seems like a wonderful person.  Best of luck to her in her new adventure.  You labour and delivery people are incredible!  I will never forget those that were right by my side through my two deliveries!  I was pretty much inspired to work in L&D just to "pay it forward," but then I realized I'd have to be a nurse....and yikes..I can't even stomach a loose tooth so other than being a committed bedside support and holding newborn babies, nursing was out of the question.  ; )  Maybe I missed my calling as a doula?  ; )  

March 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM  
Jenna Alphenaar said...

Nurse Amy was our nurse. She had to go on her break at one point during my 5 hour pushing spree...when she was walking out she said "page me if this baby looks like it's going to make an appearance, i gotta see this one." She made it just in time to help deliver Luca.
She was so very special to us.  Bye Amy! 

March 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails