Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Cashmere Memories From Italy

It was the Spring of 2008 and I was 18 weeks pregnant as we toured around Italy, eating and drinking in the culture. I really wanted to buy something for my baby to-be, but due to my profession I am a highly suspersticious pregnant lady and felt really uneasy buying something for the baby.



We were shopping in a fancy shop in Firenze when I found a small cashmere blanket at Loro Piana. I felt safe buying that blanket and thought that if anything was to happen I could always use a special blanket. I picked out a pretty peach colour and used that small blanket in our hotel room and on our travels back home to Vancouver.

When Ben was born we wrapped him up in it on his first day of life. He used it every single day up until he was 3 years old and moved into his real bed; when we traveled the blanket came with us. Somehow he went from needing that peach blanket every night to totally being fine without it. So, I washed it up and packed it in my hospital bag for baby #2.

Now our sweet Josie gets wrapped up in cashmere with memories of Italy. This small blanket has become a special family heirloom of sorts. It is amazing how well it has washed up over the last few years and how every time I feel it I'm instantly warmed.

4 comments:

Helen Engel-Gray said...

Awesome idea.  I wish I would have thought of something like that.  Best I could score were two autographed kids' books from a local author, that I bought when I lived in Hong Kong.  But somehow the blankie is so much more cuddly and personal!

March 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM  
swankmama said...

What a sweet story!  I haven't bought one thing for baby #2 but made my husband by a swaddling blanket the other day :)

March 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM  

I hadn't bought anything for Josie until I was nearing my 33rd week. Then I thought I'd pick up a few basics. It was nice with #2 because I reused a lot of my newborn stuff. She even wore her brothers newborn pyjamas and blue swaddle blankets. :)

March 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM  

Books are always special too. My mum kept some of our special childhood books and gave them to me when I had my first baby. I love reading them with him now and he is SO confused when I say, 'this was my book when I was a little girl'. hehe.

March 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails