Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Tucked Away In The City, We Celebrated Christmas!

This was the first year we celebrated Christmas without my extended family, and the first year we didn't leave town during the holiday rush. There was no mad dash of packing up all the presents to bring. There was no stress of traveling or paying extreme prices to rent a car during peak times.

Instead, we stayed nestled in the city tucked away in our little apartment. I ended up having some false labour on Christmas eve day and am so glad that I made the decision to stay home. Luckily, I was able to 'triage' myself and know that it was only discomfort and not the start of true labour. It's fun being your own nurse sometimes!

Of course we missed all of the traditions that come with being with family at Christmastime. This year I didn't miss the usual hustle and bustle but I did feel sad about Ben not celebrating with his cousins on Christmas morning, or my dad making up Christmas stories for the grandchildren. We miss the smorgasbord of treats and cheese and usual holiday items.

We had visitors over for Christmas eve and they brought us freshly baked sugar cookies and presents! As the sun went down, more friends came over for a feast of Chinese food and cheer. It was low key and lovely and I mostly sat on the couch and lounged. Which is perfect for a very pregnant mama who feels like the baby is truly about to fall on out.

It was nice to spend the day together as a family of 3. Especially as it included sleeping in (for me!) and a slow paced morning of opening presents and spending time together.







Ben picked out a special necklace for me and was so tickled when it was time to give it to me.


Ben got a cash register and the boy digs it!



There was a pancake breakfast made by my husband and an early afternoon bath for Ben. He was totally excited about testing out his new shaving set and the hilarity that ensued with watching him was priceless.







We lounged around in our living room all afternoon and watched purposefully bad Christmas movies. We ate treats and salty snacks and played with all of our new toys. Including the very cool potato clock that my sister gave to my husband. My two boys took up the science action and Ben was more than impressed when the clock started to work.






Ben went off to bed at 7 PM, meantime my husband was in the kitchen whipping up a gourmet feast for the two of us. It was divine and delicious and totally not traditional. We spent the evening dining on the most perfect Beef Wellington with homemade horseradish and outstanding side dishes. My husband is a top chef and my hips don't lie!

8 comments:

Sounds like an absolutely lovely holiday.  Last year was the first year that we were not around extended family for Christmas.  We spent the day at home, just our little family.  While I missed some of the family traditions, I loved starting some of our own.
Glad you had time to lounge and sleep in.  Take care,
Lisa

December 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM  
Ashley S said...

Looks like a great time!  Sometimes the avoiding of all the craziness of the holidays, while it doesn't feel "normal" is exactly what everyone needs :-)

December 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

It was exactly what we need, you are right! My husband loved the low key part so much he asked if we could do it again next year. Not sure how that would go over with my family but sometimes change is important too. Plus, there has to be a point when your own family starts hosting instead of just attending...hmm, maybe?!

December 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM  

I had a hard time this year because I just wasn't feeling up to doing much.I'd have loved to start new traditions that involved going on outings,etc. Even our chinese food was to be eaten at a restaurant but I was so uncomfortable that I opted for delivery. This year was different for sure but I kind of like it :)

December 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM  
huntersprize said...

I know I would miss family time if we spend a Christmas with just the three of us, but I'm also looking forward to a quiet Christmas like this!  Just a day to enjoy with the small family we've created!  I love Ben's shaving set, I'm going to have to find one for Jacob, he would love it! 

December 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

Seriously this is a huge hit with Ben! I ordered it on line, it's the Alex Shave Kit. 

December 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM  
Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Looks like a great day!  I love the picture of his feet sticking out from under the tree. :)  We always spend Christmas at home.  I would like to have family closer, but I'm glad I don't have to run around everywhere.

And we have that same cash register, though it may not work anymore--it's been abused. 

December 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM  
kristin said...

What a fantastic day!  I love Christmas with extended family, but I love an intimate family Christmas for so many reasons as well!  Your dinner sounds incredible!  Yummo!  Happy New Year Andrea!  

January 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails