Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

25 Weeks And Growing!

I'm currently 25 weeks into this pregnancy and while I'd truly love to say that I'm feeling wonderful and full of energy, I would be out right lying to you. Unfortunately, that first trimester fog never did clear up for me. I am still falling into bed by 9 PM most nights and could nap every single day if I had the opportunity too. This pregnancy is harder than my first and I think that is related to working full time and being a mum of 1 already.


Things are growing! Boobs! Belly! Bum! Check!

Pregnancy Favourites:

My favourite thing about being pregnant is feeling all of the fetal movements. I love figuring out what position my baby is in based on the kicks and punches. This babe moves quite a bit but since my placenta is anterior, on the front, I feel less movement overall than I did with Ben. Apparently, as baby gets bigger I can expect to feel more and more movements. I also love watching my bump get bigger and rounder. Sometimes I surprise myself when I walk by a mirror and catch a quick glance of myself. Like, WHOA! When did that happen?!

My Pregnancy and Diabetes:

I'm still chugging along with my type 1 diabetes and the massive amounts of blood sugar checks and frequent insulin pokes I'm doing for pregnancy. As my placenta continues to grow and grow, my insulin levels go up and up. Another thing that is going up and up is my weight. In fact, the increased insulin demands and weight gain go hand in hand. They do even in non pregnant people too. The more insulin I take, the more pounds come my way. I'd say I'm eating pretty much the same as I did pre pregnancy; I have no aversions and no cravings and get full annoyingly fast.

My current insulin doses are 43 units in the AM and 45 units at bedtime. I also have gone up by about 25% in my fast acting doses when I eat. My placenta is doing its job and so I'm doing my job at making a big effort in keeping my blood sugars well controlled. Sometimes I get a random surprise high blood sugar, usually it's related to a stressful situation at work or lack of sleep. All the hormones work together but sometimes they are not right on target! Those surprise high blood sugars frustrate me to no end, it's not like I ate a big donut and the cause is obvious. I don't fret too long and just go with the swing of things and correct as needed.

My Pregnancy Plan:

I have made the decision not too push myself too much and am heading off on sick leave from work in about 7 weeks. I am going to try and take care of my own health and my pregnancy and enjoy the time off over the holiday season. I plan to go into full nesting mode once December 1 is here!

The one thing that is really different for me this time around is that I am a lot more relaxed and less anxious. I was a super anxious pregnant lady with Ben and did not enjoy each stage nearly as much as I wished. Instead, I was consumed with worry and envisioning the worst case scenario at every stage. This is what happens when you work in perinatal and obstetrics, you just know too much. So, this time around I've made the conscious decision to enjoy my pregnancy and just let it progress. Especially as we plan on only 2 babies!

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Pregnancy and I weren't friends either.  I had health complications that made the entire duration of both my pregnancies pretty crumby.  But I just kept thinking, "I get a baby, I get a baby!"  it helped :-)  You're doing a wonderful job of sounding positive and you look lovely as usual.  Here's hoping the next 15 weeks are easier?  I know it's kinda lying too, but hey, it could happen :)

October 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM  

Thanks Ashley! The biggest part of me doesn't mind all the aches and pains that pregnancy brings. It is just temporary and really there are so many wonderful parts along the way.

October 15, 2011 at 10:08 PM  

I am so not "enjoying" the majority of my pregnancy symptoms either but I do agree feeling the baby move is pure magic. Hang in there mama, you look beautiful!

October 16, 2011 at 4:54 AM  
Tarable said...

You look really very lovely.  You look fresh and healthy and gorgous. 

October 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM  

Thanks Tara, that was so sweet of you :)

October 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM  
Jilly Bean said...

Great post on how things are going with your diabetes. It is amazing what goes on in your body when you are growing a baby and I'm glad to hear that you are coping so well and have a healthy plan.

October 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM  
Natalie Herrigan said...

Hey! Great bump by the way. Found your blog through a friends blog and I LOVE IT!!!! Keep the bump pics coming. You look fab!

October 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM  
Michaela said...

you look lovely! I'm at 20 weeks, and feel exactly the same as you. I've had to cut my hours at work to part time, because it's utterly exhausting. I'm glad to hear you're in bed before 9 too! I don't feel so weird!

October 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM  
alicia said...

Yeah, you look really gorgeous lady, healthy and glowing, with a beautiful little bump.  Very interesting to read about your pregnancy journey as a diabetic, you sound so controlled and knowledgeable, and I'm just super impressed with your ability to manage the woes of pregnancy with the additional health concerns you have.  Very very impressed.     

October 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM  

Thank you X 10! What a sweet encouraging comment. Personally, I take much better care of myself and my diabetes when there is a baby on board. If I choose to splurge on a chunk of chocolate when I'm not pregnant...that is one thing...but while baby is growing I tend to think about things differently.

October 19, 2011 at 7:29 PM  

Yes that dragging feeling is a tough one. Funny enough, I didn't really have this feeling with my first pregnancy. I remember needing my 'pregnancy naps' but I also would still go out late. I guess each pregnancy can be so different..even if it is the same body (only older now hehe).

October 19, 2011 at 7:30 PM  
Manda_paige said...

You look lovely!! And very compact for 25 weeks with your second baby! 

October 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM  
Heidi said...

Wow Andrea, you are looking like the hottest mama ever.  All your other commenters are right on - you look FAB!  You might be feeling tired, but you sure don't look it.  Can't wait to see you soon.
Heido

October 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails