Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I'm Temporarily Breaking Up With...

...my massage therapist. I've been going to her for almost 6 years now and have followed her around the city as she moved locations and clinics. Back in 2007 I made the mistake of telling too many people just how amazing and wonderful she was and all of a sudden I couldn't book myself an appointment.

It's funny to have a long term therapeutic relationship with someone as it does become very familiar. She knows that I love lots of pressure and that I don't like to chat during the 60 minute session. She knows I get achy after a busy set of shifts and I know that her best appointment is usually the second one of the day. The thing is, while she is usually fantastic she just isn't the best at prenatal massage.

It was a sad appointment when I figured out that it might be my last appointment with her until baby arrives. She was always so excited to ask me for a pregnancy update and get a quick check in on my life. It was the side laying massage that just didn't work for me. I want to lay on a proper prenatal massage table face down! Going side to side left just wasn't relaxing for me and it felt more like a fancy lotion rubbing session than the therapeutic deep tissue massage that I really needed.


Just a temporary break up, I promise!

I made the decision to temporarily leave my long term situation and I went back to the Vancouver massage studio I had frequented when I was blooming with Ben, Soma Massage Studio. They focus on pre and postnatal massage and that is the place I want to go to right now with my ever changing body. I want a registered massage therapist who has extra education and interest in the changes that pregnancy brings. I also want to be able to lay face down and get a proper deep tissue massage and Soma Studio is totally set up for this. Seriously, the side laying massage is not for me!



Have you ever had to break up with someone who provides you with a service? Did you find it awkward or did you just walk away?

9 comments:

Infertilenanny (Molly W) said...

omg I could so go for a prenatal massage. I know how you feel about "breaking up", I had to break up with my acu because of a scheduling issue. It was so sad.

October 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM  

I'm really fortunate because my work covers the costs of my massages...and so I really make use of it!!

October 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM  
Amy_P said...

I once had to break up with my hairdresser and it was AWKWARD!! She was really great but after a couple of years of regular appointments she increased prices A LOT and I sort of felt that she lost her spark and wasn't loving my hair. The hard part is that I just stopped going and about 8 months later ran into her on the street. AHH. Yeah. That wasn't uncomfortable or anything!

October 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM  
Sue said...

Soma studio is awesome! I went there when I was pregnant. It felt so good each week to be able to get lie face down with the pregnancy cushions providing support.  Andrea, you deserve to get a proper massage with your growing belly and to be comfortable!

October 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM  
Jenny Lutes said...

I love Soma Studio - I went there during my pregnancy with Ava, and I'm going every few weeks now.

October 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM  
Jill said...

Oh, I totally agree!! The side lying is just not as comfortable. I had trouble with that with my second baby - I got too big for the face down (there just weren't enough of those O pads in the world ;)) - and just counted the days until birth so I could go face down and get the good stuff happening. I'm aching for a massage after reading this... 

October 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM  
Delorus said...

I totally understand, my sister is a RMT and when I was pregnant she gave me massages and adjustments but I couldn't lay on my stomach. I definitely didn't get as much of a satisfying massage. BUT a lot of RMT's won't do massage with a pregnant lady on their stomach since it can pull and stretch muscles and connective tissue and do possible damage. 

October 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM  
Becky H said...

A massage therapist finally opened in our area who specializes in pre- & post-natal massage. I went to her after I had my baby. It was nice to lay on my stomach without squishing and hurting the massive nursing boobs. However, when I left, there was this strong smell of mildew lingering around me. I couldn't figure out where is was coming from. It finally dawned on me that the mildew stank came from the therapists moist towels that she keeps warm in a crock pot. Even after showering, I couldn't get the smell out of my skin. It lingered even two days later. Her business is so great and is so needed here. But, I haven't had the heart to tell her the towels turned me away. I hope someone else tells her so I can go back!

October 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

When I was pregnant, having a massage without the proper pre-natal pillow thing just didn't work for me either. I broke up with my RMT for my first pregnancy, but for my 2nd, the clinic had wised up and purchased the proper equipment. SUCH a difference.

October 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails