Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I've Got A Secret For You!

Have you noticed that I haven't been blogging as much over the past few months? I've even nixed most of my social calendar and doing something that I never did before...cancelling at the last minute. I have a really good reason for all of that.

You see, I've been lazing on the couch in a stupendous fog unable to sometimes get dressed or brush my hair. I've been busy growing a baby and it has truly thrown me for a loop! I'm 15 weeks along and I *think* the nausea is less than it was. I'm also not falling asleep in random places or looking like a hungover mum at the playground anymore.

Instead I've traded that set of pregnancy symptoms in for emotional crying bursts, 'why did you say that to me?' sob sob sob. The nausea has been replaced with hormone headaches and I'm currently giving Kim Kardashian a run for her money. Either that, or I am carrying another baby in my ass.

Everyone has a different pregnancy and I can already claim this one is much different than the one with Ben. When I've told people that I am pregnant I've heard a few, 'Oh, I so knew it! You've looked HORRIBLE the last while'.

It's true. But seriously, have you ever tried to go to work with a really bad hangover....well, then you can relate because it basically included all of the same feelings.

As much as these symptoms have been hard, I truly embrace each and everyone one of them because it means I'm growing a baby. I wouldn't trade my teenage pimples or greasy hair for anything!




PS. So far my most prized first trimester moment was throwing up an entire strawberry smoothie in front of Ben... into the bath tub as that was the closest thing to me. The horrified look on his face and blood curdling scream will never be forgotten. In fact, I am sure it may have somehow traumatized his childhood a little bit. Especially when he was all like, 'umm you gonna clean that up mama?' in between sobs and tears.

27 comments:

Erin Levesque said...

Hooray!!  I am so excited for you, Andrea!  Symptoms like yours (including the vomiting up your lunch in front of the confused toddler) were so reassuring to me :)  Can we plan for a walk on the sea wall one of these pretty days.  i hope your colleagues are taking good care of you :)

August 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM  
Shelley said...

ZOMG! Woot! Woot! Big news!

August 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM  
mitzi said...

Congratulations Andrea and family! Maybe we're date twins?!

August 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM  

Aww congratulations!!! Ben is so cute :)

August 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM  
kristin said...

Such awesome news Andrea!  So so so excited to follow along in your pregnancy!  Congratulations!  LOVE that gorgeous silhouette photo of you and your babe!  

August 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM  
Navigating the mothership said...

Congrats! And nothing but sympathy on the nausea front. It really is like a hangover that lasts and lasts and lasts...

August 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

Thanks Mitzi. 40 weeks would be January 23 but since I'm a type 1 diabetic, I'll go to 38 weeks. We shall see!  :)

August 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

Erin I am sure you have many good stories about dealing with pregnancy and having kids at home!! I would LOVE a seawall walk with you. Perfect for sipping iced coffee and strolling :) xxo

August 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM  
Tarable said...

My pregnancies were both very different as well.  I chalked it up to having a boy and a girl but I know this isn't necessarily the case.

Or is it...  ;)

Big congrats to you, Mama in the City.

August 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM  

You know, I had huge 'it's a girl' vibes from the start but now I have no vibe either way. Alas, we are one of those couples who don't find out the sex until after I push the baby out. :)

August 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM  
Ashley said...

So I didn't miss the announcement!  Congratulations again you guys!  It's so exciting to welcome a new baby into a family, and so fun watching your big kid fall in love with their little sibling. 

August 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM  
Shgoldilocks said...

Ohhh I had a sneaking feeling. And I couldn't be happier for you!!! Congratulations to you, daddy in the city, and soon to be big brother Ben! That photo is just lovely. And, that story about Ben is just priceless. Be well, Mama! :o)

August 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM  
Quietbumblebee said...
Julia Payson said...

My worst pregnancy barf so far was also strawberries - with yogurt - into the bathtub.  But it was in front of my cat who sees barfing as a normal part of the day - so no trauma. 

When I told my boss it had more to do with wanting her to not think I had developed a substance abuse problem.  First trimestre sucks.  Congrats though!

August 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM  
huntersprize said...

Congratulations!  That is great news! (having a baby, not the morning sickness) Just another reason for me to feel compelled to have another...everyone else is! :)

August 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM  
Amanda Brown said...

Oh, hooray! So happy for you!!

August 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Amanda said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  That's fantastic news! (Well, not so much the yakking in front of Ben and having it upset him so, but that's pretty funny.  Don't worry, I'm sure it won't taint his ENTIRE childhood...)  :)

August 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM  
Rosie said...

That is such wonderful news Andrea! Much love winging its way to you all from Picklescote xxx

August 6, 2011 at 12:54 AM  

Thanks Rosie! A comment all the way from Picklescote is much appreciated!!

August 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM  

Sometimes I still dry heave and my boy says, 'mama makes DRAGON noises' hehe.

August 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM  
Lisa S. said...

Congratulations.  What great news.

August 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM  
Kami said...

Congratulations!  That is so exciting and you baby bump is adorable. 

August 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM  
Alicia said...

Congratulations Andrea!  So happy for you.  I'm due in January as well, and yeah, first trimester is not so much fun is it?  Hope the worst of it is behind you.  :)

August 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM  
Alison Burgess said...

Congratulations! I look forward to reading your blogs about managing morning sickness and general fatigue, with an energetic little man to care for also!!

August 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM  
Angela said...
koo & poppet sarah said...

OMG Andrea!!! i love this post! huge congrats!!! i love what ben said to you about the strawberry puke :) sadie would have had a very similar response. and i totally hear you about taking a break from blogging.....when i was pregnant i just couldn't keep up with the blogosphere on top of everything else. 
so happy for you! hooray for baby #2! (both my girls are napping right now. divine intervention on a monday afternoon)

August 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM  
Melanie said...

Congratulations! I shouldn't laugh but I almost spit my tea all over my computer when you talked about Ben's reaction to the strawberry smoothie incident. 

August 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails