Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Happy Birthday To Me!

Hip! Hip! Hooray! It's my birthday today! I'm 32 and proud of it. I've already had an early birthday celebration with my family on our trip to Parksville where I was serenaded by my niece and nephew with a terrifically loud version of Happy Birthday, complete with balloons and birthday cake.

Growing up with a Summertime birthday meant there was many times I was disappointed when childhood friends were not able to come to my birthday party because of summer vacations. Many times my birthday fell along the August long weekend and so all my little friends were off with their families camping or traveling. You take it quite personally when you are a 9 year old girl and no one can come to your birthday party, 'what do you mean no one will be home to come to my birthday party?'.

Once I became an adult I often had a birth MONTH celebration. You know, to make up for all that childhood let down from my past. Since becoming a mum my priorities have somewhat shifted and I no longer have a birth month, but that doesn't stop me from having a birth WEEK.

Let's recap my week of celebrations so far:

* birthday cake and cheer with my family in Parksville. Complete with a spa gift certificate and a new book
* dinner out with a couple of girlfriends where we ate and laughed and had a good time
* brunch out with one of my oldest girlfriends (thanks teenage babysitter for coming through!)
* a special over night trip, sans child, all lined up by my husband (thanks sister for donating your babysitting skills)

Seriously good times! How do you celebrate your own birthday?

17 comments:

Ashley said...
Tarable said...

Happy birthday to you, Mama!

July 31, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

That is a pretty sweet summer birthday line up.

I feel your pain about childhood birthdays. December 19th here. And a twin. Never got to have my big day all to myself and celebrated at school. =(

July 31, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
kristin said...

Well happy birthday to you!  Cheers!  
Sadly, my birthdays aren't often celebrated with as much flare as yours!  Yay for you!  

July 31, 2011 at 1:50 PM  
huntersprize said...

Happy Birthday!

Last year, we went up to a water park for the day. We didn't take Jacob, because we knew he was too small for all the rides. It was fun, but we mostly just kept talking about bringing him along next time! 

July 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

I love to celebrate all of my family and friends birthdays with the same amount of flare. I love a good reason to celebrate! :)

July 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

Okay, that one takes the cake. A twin and a December birthday. Oh my!

July 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Lisa S. said...

It is our family tradition to celebrate birthdays over and over again.  My husband jokes that my birthday is actually a week long and I love it that way.  Happy Birthday to you.

July 31, 2011 at 8:16 PM  

Lisa! You are my birthday celebration twin! My husband makes the same joke! Love it!!

July 31, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

haha classic! When we went to Maui alone we ended up talking about our boy the WHOLE time. Imagining what we would do with him. Looking at other little boys around the same age and watching them play with glee. Oh brother! The things parents do!

July 31, 2011 at 8:48 PM  
Carolee Beckham said...
Marisa said...

Happy Birthday to a fellow Leo!  I'll be 33 on the 3rd.  :)  I too felt the same way about having a summer birthday (no school celebrations) and recall starting to make party plans AT LEAST a month in advance.  Ok, I still sort of do.  Luckily for me my Mum plays right along.  I'm celebrating all week long too - dinners, lunches, movies, shopping, playdates at the park, meals with family - most of all thinking about how lucky I am to have such a wonderful life.  :D

August 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM  

Thanks mama! You have a BIRTH day coming up soon too ;)

August 1, 2011 at 9:00 PM  

Ahh, you get me! 

I'm so happy to hear that I am not alone in the birthweek celebrations. It is a wonderful life!

August 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM  
Jenna said...

Every Leo must have a birthday week or month! I heart Leo's...were the best!

August 2, 2011 at 8:20 PM  

wait a minute, your Bday is July 31? Mine is July 29! You are 32? I am too. You live in Vancouver, I do too. Your blog is called Mama in the City, mine is called Mama and the City. 
Whaaaaaaaat?

Happy Belated BDay BTW

August 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM  
Kristen Springthorpe said...

Happy Belated Birthday!  Our oldest is an end of July baby and we've now officially instated the early birthday party in June while his school friends are around and added the family celebration on his actual birthday, because the same thing happened to him - hard to explain to a 5 year old why only 2 of his 9 school friends he invited showed up to the party :(

August 12, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails