Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

A Day In The Life Of Mama in the City

It's just another random day for me and today I had places to go and things to do. Living in the city has a few obvious differences than living somewhere else. The biggest difference I can think of is that we walk everywhere instead of driving a car to and from errands and appointments.

This morning started off at 6:16 AM and I had a few things on my 'to do' list so I planned to shape my day around those them. First task of the day was an 11 AM routine doctors appointment, followed by my regular blood work for diabetes. Today I had to bring Ben along to these appointments, so I made sure to have a bit of fun before being all quiet and serious in the doctors office. I don't usually bring Ben with me, but my husband is up to his eyeballs in work and I didn't want to get a sitter for such a short appointment.

We headed out the door just after 9:30 AM and our first stop on our walk was Agro, the local coffee shop we frequent a lot. I sat and sipped a perfectly made cappuccino while Ben nibbled a slice of their vegan banana bread. I kept prepping Ben about what a good boy he was going to be while I was getting poked in the arm at the lab. It really could be a potential disaster bringing a toddler into a lab.




We finished up and continued to walk up Davie Street, turning off to visit Emery Barnes playground and water feature. I always carry a few extra pennies for Ben to toss into the water fountain whenever we go. This is such a nice park in the middle of the city and there are always so many families out playing and random people sitting and enjoying the gardens. A great thing about living in Vancouver is all of the planned out parks and playgrounds for families to visit.





After all that fun activity, I pushed the stroller up the hill and made it to the doctors office. I still use my UppaBaby stroller quite frequently with Ben. Since most of our transportation involves walking, it is a must for this Mama in the City! Ben gets out and does some walking alongside the stroller, but if there are errands to do I like to stroll at a good pace.

I had promised Ben that if he was well behaved during all of my appointments, I'd take him to the Chapters bookshop for a little browsing and playtime in the children's section. This is one of his favourite things to do and he was utterly delighted when we pulled up to the bookshop after my appointment. We browsed and I picked up a new book for myself and little Ben enjoyed his playtime at the train table.



We rolled through the front door just after 1:30 PM and Ben went off for his afternoon nap in about 3 seconds flat. I've already promised him that we'll head back outside when he wakes up. I plan to make the most of this sunny Summer day!

7 comments:

katie smith said...

*insert my life here* but add a new baby girl to the mix. Bliss in the city isn't it?!

July 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

I am curious how it would work with more than 1, but I see other mamas around with 2+ and think it can be done!! You are right, it is bliss! So lucky.

July 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM  
Suburbia_Mom said...

Wow, you got up to quite a lot of different adventures and it looks so nice!! I live in a house in the suburbs and love it. Of course I drive my car around a lot, but it is just how we roll. The beauty of that is, when it's raining I can stay pretty much dry!

July 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM  
Jessica M. said...

I love the pic of him throwing his penny into the fountain. So cute!

July 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM  
Lisa S. said...

My son loves the train table at Chapters.  I usually have to drag him out of there.  I really enjoy posts like this because while different in some ways, similar in others.  Have a great weekend.

July 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM  
AliRose said...

I love hearing about your life raising a kid in the city, it is the path that I always wanted, yet my husband was very adamant on a house.  So we settled for a neighborhood in the city.  Parks and restaurants, a pharmacy, the bank, coffee shops, all within walking distance.  But it's still not the same, the temptation to drive is still always there, and we just haven't embraced the walk everywhere lifestyle!  This post is inspiring!  :)

July 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Harriet said...

Whoa - great ideas! I love exploring new parks and playground but they get enjoyment out of some many many things.

July 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails