Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Tales From Our Bedtime Gong Show

Last evening I got home from a long shift at work and was greeted by a husband who wasn't feeling well and a little boy with a lot of energy. On my walk home I had been looking forward to hanging out with my husband after Ben went off to bed. I thought we might eat some sushi together and watch some bad television while I lounged around a bit.

I will admit to feeling a tiny bit of disappointment when I came home and realized my husband was under weather husband. Especially so when he went right off to bed. There is something about eating sushi alone that just isn't as enjoyable. As my husband snored away in the bedroom, Ben called out at 20 and 45 minute marks. 'MAMA! MAMA! AHHHHH'. He was screaming bloody murder and on the first cry out I actually ran into his bedroom.

Bring on the sleeping arrangement gong show!

It turned out my boy was having his first nightmare and there were many wet tears on his bedsheets. I started to think how the whole night was going to go from this point on. There would be the sicky husband hogging the bed and possibly a little toddler calling out all night long in distress. Of course there was also a nurse who needed to get up early and go back to the hospital!

So, I went and woke up my husband and told him that the pull out sofa bed was looking mighty comfy for his sick self . Once he heard Ben calling out, he quickly jetted out of our bed and into the soft blue sheets on the pull out couch. I took Ben out of his crib and wiped his wet tear stained face and hauled him into my bed, because this family has to get some sleep!

In attempts to keep things quiet I shut the dog outside of the master bedroom, but the old girl wanted to be part of the party and started tapping at the closed door. It turned into one of those long nights when all you want to do is go to sleep but something, and everything, is preventing that from happening. After an hour of settling Ben (11 PM!!!) he finally drifted back to sleep as long as he was sandwiched right next to my body.

Luckily I was able to sleep quietly through the rest of the night and Ben treated me to an extra early morning wake up call to cap off our sleeping arrangements. I guess I didn't need to set my alarm clock for work after all!

Alarm clock for work is set for 6 AM. Ben's internal clock woke up at 5 AM.


Amanda said...

GONG! Supposedly these are the memories we will look back on fondly one day...?

July 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

We have a lot of musical beds right now at our house.  Funny how our bodies manage to find a way to fall asleep in all kinds of situations.  Hope tonight is a better night.

July 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM  

I think it is easier when you are in the roll of sleeping musical beds. Much harder when you have gotten used to the luxury of sleeping in the your 'assigned' spots hehe. However, I did secretly enjoy snuggling with my sweet boy. Somehow they become babies when they are sleeping next to you.

July 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

I think we will! When they are big and don't want anything to do with us, we will fondly remember the time they slept curled up next to us.

July 6, 2011 at 10:07 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh I totally don't like when nights get off to that kind of start!  ; )  Its all about doing what you need to do to get some sleep, isn't it!  
Hope tonight goes better for you!  

July 7, 2011 at 5:20 AM  
H Fancott said...

Was it a night terror? There really is nothing quite like getting used to your child sleeping and then - WAH! - no dice :(

July 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM  
swankmama said...

Haha love this!  Been there, done that {but haven't kicked my husband out of bed yet!}.

July 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails