Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Summer In Vancouver City: The Kid Edition

Now that we have had a bit more sunshine it is starting to feel a lot more like Summer in the city. I've lived here for 8 years now and each Summer I am reminded why I love living in Vancouver. You have the beaches and the mountains and the gorgeous city scenery. I love to take advantage of local activities and today was a perfect opportunity for that.

This morning my girlfriend picked us up and we hauled our two toddlers over to Kits beach for some sandy sunny playtime. Don't you just adore how entertained children are at the beach? You could seriously just sit back and enjoy the scenery as they frolic in the sand. It turns out that you don't even need fancy sand toys to have a majorly good time. Some old cups and a couple of buckets do the trick just fine.

These two have been friends from the time they were babies and it is always a a joy to hear them squeal with delight when they play together. I don't believe there were even any tears shed during our whole outing. There may have been a few, 'that's MINE!', but that seems pretty normal at a toddler play date.


The face MY child gives me when asked to pose for a photo.



The face his little friend gives me when asked to pose for a photo. What a doll!

These two buddies played and ran around collecting sand in various crevices (only to be discovered later on, of course!). We made the day a complete Kitsilano experience and headed to Sophie's Cosmic Cafe for some of their eclectic decor and tasty lunch. While there is no official kids menu, this place is loud and hearty and parents a plenty were coming through the door. Booster seats and crayons provided!


All in all a feel good Vancouver day.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh, Sophie's!  Love that place!  
This makes me miss the big city and all it has to offer!!  Sounds like a great day with your kiddos!  

PS. our cream came in the mail!  we love it!  thanks again!

July 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM  

I hadn't been to Sophie's in ages. It's funny when you live somewhere and you get localized into your area, even though this is literally a short distance from us!

July 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM  
Angella said...

I used to live in Kits. I miss that beach. :)

July 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM  
Nadine_Waters said...

cute kids and look at those curls on her!

July 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM  
swankmama said...

Love this post about Vancouver!  Too bad our weather isn't great today but looking forward to beach time soon!  Haven't been to Sophie's yet {can you believe it?!} but been meaning to check it out.  Tweet me and let me know what your twitter handle is....can't find you!

July 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM  
huntersprize said...

I love it when babies hug each other. So cute.

July 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails