Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Let's All Go To The Cheese Factory!

When I was little, we didn't go on big luxurious beach vacations for our family holiday. Instead, my family of five piled into the car and went on lots of different road trips. I have memories of my mum sitting up front and balancing a blue thermos of juice or water by her feet while my dad drove. Usually our holiday contained an educational portion, which I'm sure were compliments of my teacher mum. I remember one such educational vacation visit to the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Oregon.

I also remember touring a very large factory that showcased large machinery and how it worked. I vividly remember thinking, 'when I have kids I will not do this to them!'. I'm curious what my parents memories are of going on these educational tours with their young girls. The Cheese Factory was a bit decent because you sampled cheese cubes through out the whole tour and ended up in an ice cream shop.

Fast forward to present time and our trip to San Diego last week. My husband wanted to go check out the Natural History Museum and it brought back flash backs of my own childhood vacations. Either my parents influence has rubbed off on me, or when you're an adult you actually enjoy learning and vacationing at the same time. Fancy that.










Turns out that I quite enjoyed the educational part of our holiday, and so did little Ben. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing and left feeling inspired to learn more. Ben was so tuckered out at the end of our tour that he had to hop up on to my husbands shoulders and get a ride.


9 comments:

Ashley said...

My parents were big on the educational portions of our vacations too.  So glad ya'll had fun, museums can be wonderful (if your dad doesn't read every. single. sign. slowly as mine did) when you're a kid!

May 16, 2011 at 7:54 AM  
Rita Starr said...

 Cute bum! Where you from? Great family photos. It looks like, despite the upset from the childhood educational vacations, you still managed to have a good time!

May 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM  
huntersprize said...

Denver has a great natural history museum and I would love to take my almost 3 year old to see the dinosaurs. Glad to know that he might not be too little to enjoy it. 

May 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM  
Carolee Beckham said...

<3 the very last picture. precious and so cute.

May 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM  
Amanda Brown said...

 Awesome. That baby butt-crack shot just killed me though. So cute!!

May 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM  
Nadine_Waters said...

 Love the last pic. So cute!

May 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM  
Marisa said...

We did family road trips growing up too, which usually consisted of my mum, brother and I doing the family activities while my dad attended conferences and meetings.  The outings always involved landmarks or museums or the like.  I totally plan to do the same education-vacations to my kids.  Makes for great memories!  
p.s. The baby butt-crack photo cracks me up! (pun intended).  ;) 

May 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM  
Kelly Grindrod said...

 Awesome. When we were in Vancouver a little while back we hit up the aquarium and the art gallery and I was surprised at how much my 1.5 year old took in. Then, on a recent trip to Halifax, my husband took her to Pier 21 and they had a great time. I would've been very bored doing most of this stuff on my own but it's great with her.

May 18, 2011 at 6:46 AM  
Sarah M. said...

I remember going to the cheese factory!  Lots of family road trip memories for sure.  I have to agree with you, it's great to take your kids places where learning is fun.  We have the same Aquarium t-shirt as well.  ;o)

May 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails