Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I don't do a lot of baking in our house, which would make sense since I have a pancreas that doesn't do its job. However, this year I signed up for a cookie exchange with some of the nurses and doctors at work and my husband is very excited about all the treats that I will be bringing home shortly.
We have to make 88 pieces of something homemade for the 12 people that are involved in the cookie exchange. I decided to befriend Martha Stewart and her recipe suggestions for holiday baked goods and so I baked a copious amount of chocolate hazelnut and cranberry biscotti.

The recipe is pretty simple and doesn't require fancy ingredients. I decided to be a savvy baker and added cranberries and swapped out pistachios for hazelnuts. My only addition to this recipe is to soak the cranberries in hot water for 15 minutes before you add them to your mixture. The ingredient list is as follows:

Makes 44
2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup hazelnut or any other whole nut like almonds or peanuts
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
3-4 ounces of cranberries (pre soaked in boiled water to make them soft)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


Hosted by imgur.com


You can find this recipe on the Martha Stewart website by clicking HERE.

*photo compliments of my loving husband (after a bit of badgering and bribes with biscotti)*

6 comments:

Husband in the City said...

Delicious!

I bet you're the only one in the cookie exchange that gave an online preview of what they're bringing.

December 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM  
Mum Shirley said...

Well all your relatives will look forward to trying some, if you make us some! Sounds yummy. I have 2 cookie exchanges to go to this weekend, So will spend Friday baking up a storm.

December 7, 2009 at 11:52 PM  
anotherafwife said...

I actually love baking. Since we (hubby and I) usually don't eat more than a few cookies, I have no reason to bake for us so I look for every chance to do some cookies baking. Last month I was baking like crazy for the charity.

December 8, 2009 at 1:23 AM  
Mama in the City said...

I am pretty sure that I am the only one who will be at the cookie exchange who wrote a blog post about it. Yes, you are right!

December 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM  
Mama in the City said...

After breakages and crumbled ones there is only just enough biscotti for the 88 bits I have to bring. However, I have my eye on a second recipe that I might whip up to bring for the holidays!

December 8, 2009 at 8:55 AM  
Mama in the City said...

That is the hard part. If there is baked items in the house they will be eaten. So, if there is 6 bits or 6 dozen...it will be eaten. Less is more sometimes ;)

December 8, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails