Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Jumping On The Bandwagon?

Over the past few weeks downtown Vancouver has slowly become more and more 'Olympic like'. My old favourite downtown parking spots have been closed and recruited for special Olympic events. Areas that I used to walk through now have fences built up to mark off private Olympic parking or events.

The last change I learned the hard way and ended up walking a distance through the large open area while pushing Ben in his stroller. This was a place we walk a lot and I ended up learning that the whole area had, in fact, been completely fenced and the only way to get out was to walk back to the original and only opening.

Hosted by imgur.com

I have had mixed feelings about Vancouver hosting the Olympics and never felt 100% dedicated towards the big event. However, it is literally in my backyard and I have decided that it might just be easier to go with the flow and see what will come out of all the changes going on. In fact, tonight when we got home we could hear the nightly choir practice going on as people warm up their pipes for the opening games.

As the time creeps up and the date of Vancouver hosting the 2010 games gets closer you will probably read more about it from me and you can bet that there will be some interesting photography, compliments of my husband of course! I am curious how it will be to work at the hospital during the Olympics and so very thankful I don't have to drive to get to work.

Are you looking forward to Vancouver hosting the 2010 Olympics? Are you against it or did you hop on the band wagon after all? No matter your stance the Olympics are coming very shortly.

Hosted by imgur.com

2 comments:

Nat said...

Our family kind of has to be pro olympics as my husband is working for Vanoc and will be there in the midst of it all. Saying that though, I have no interest of attending any of the sporting events as I prefer to view them from the comfort of my living room. I will probably attend some of the community events as my 4 year old will probably enjoy them.

December 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM  
A Little Coffee said...

I was on the same page as you for a long time and as the Olympics drew nearer, I was growing more and more apprehensive. Admittedly, my main concern was my commute to Granville Island where my office was based. I was really worried and pissed off about it.

In a somewhat hilarious twist of fate, I just got laid off about 3 and a half weeks ago and immediately got a job with Vanoc. I joked that it was sort of weird that *I* was working there, when I was unsure if I was even pro-Games or not. But a week and a half into my new job, and I've definitely caught the fever. It's just so inspiring and exciting to be working with a really enthusiastic and inspired team of people who cannot wait for the Games! (And yet, wish it was longer till it started because we can't imagine how we'll get everything done in time. But we will). Anyway, with my new position, I know I will be on site for 10 weeks working 6 days a week, 12 or 14 hours a day, possibly a whole schwack of graveyard shifts. And I don't even mind. I can't wait to be a part of it. I'm only sad that I'll be at a transportation compound and will miss a lot of the events, so I'll be taping it all on TV!

December 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails