Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

A Day Out In Raincity

One of the hard parts of city living is having to do your daily errands rain or shine and it is rain season in Vancouver! It doesn't make sense to drive door to door when you live downtown. Parking can be horrendous and it doesn't jive well with the environment to drive around the block. So, there are wet socks and stroller rain covers going on right now. Just because it rains doesn't mean that life has to stop. Instead I just have to adapt and get used to that damp feeling more often than not.

Today I HAD to get out of the apartment and go and pick up a few items at our neighbourhood drugstore. My dilemma came when I realized that I could either hold my umbrella and push the stroller OR sip my cappuccino and push the stroller. Tough decision and ultimately I decided that I could always go home and dry off. So, I walked around Yaletown picking up my needed items and dodging raindrops and puddles while sipping my cappuccino. That's life in raincity and I better get used to it!

5 comments:

Juliana said...

Man that is true. In the burbs you just hop right into your car and you might not even wear a jacket if you park underground. Such a different life living in the city!

November 18, 2009 at 5:12 PM  
Linda said...

Hope your boy stayed nice and dry!

November 18, 2009 at 8:42 PM  
Auntie Glyn said...

hahaha, love that you chose caffeine over dryness. Priorities! One does really need to learn to embrace the rain when living on the "wet coast." I would always rather it be damp but warm than dry and freezing cold. Anything to avoid having to scrap ice off my car! This week's weather has been a bit extreme, but the rain is what keeps our city so lush and green.

November 18, 2009 at 9:29 PM  
Heidi said...

You are the queen of making the most of a tough situation. I can just picture you walking around town, sipping your coffee, looking fabulous, and enjoying your time out, even in the rain! You have the "joie de vivre!"

November 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM  
Sister Sarah said...

You know what I'm getting you for Christmas...one of those umbrella hats! Or maybe one of those plastic hair covers that only Grannies wear. I seriously thought of getting myself one the other day:)

November 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails