Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Being One Is Fun!

The other day I found a mass of old baby wash cloths that we used to use for diaper changes and I sighed. How much work were those baby days? So much work! I remember the mass of baby laundry that happened daily and the washer was always whirring.

My boy has been ONE for about a month now and I have to tell you, I am really loving this age. Of course I am partial to the baby days and the tiny baby with the sweet cuddles and the astonishing delight you get just by staring at your bundle. The thing is, the baby days are hard and exhausting and all consuming. There was less sleep, more laundry and just more care needed all around. If you looked rattled or fatigued at anytime you could just say, 'oh I have a baby' and that was that.

I am really digging this whole business of having a 1 year old in the house. A personality really has emerged and taken over. There are giggles and full on belly laughs in place of crying. He can entertain himself with a variety of toys or a wooden spoon and a pot and sometimes a roll of toilet paper is where it's at. Which really means there are more moments to myself and that is a nice thing.

This morning when I got home when I walked through the door from a long night shift, he was full of glee and so happy to see me. It was seriously great! So, right now I will go and we will have some good old playtime on the floor before I will leave to work my last night shift. I will wait for that happy glee and smile when I return in the morning (all tired and feeling run over). Being one is really so much fun!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

My favorite is age 3-6. They are usually out of diapers but still so little and cute. Less work and usually listen better. Once they pass 6 they get attitude and opinionated about stuff.

October 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM  
Meghan said...

I don't have kids but I am an aunt and loved when my brothers kids were 1 and up to about 6..before they start telling you off and thing your a total nerd. Enjoy that boy. he is a sweetie.

October 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails