Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Every Christmas my sisters and I do an annual sisters Christmas shopping trip. We get together, feel festive and do a little Christmas shopping and spend time together. We try to make a weekend out of it and swap between sisters coming to Vancouver or sisters heading to Victoria.

We have been doing this for at least 10 years now and have only had one occasion where someone was sick and the trio of sisters . Last year the entire event was planned around a crying baby Ben and my hungry motoring one year old nephew. We made it to an entire ONE shop where we bought matching pajamas and called it a day. I think there was a Starbucks visit somewhere in the middle of that.

Last years Christmas shopping trip was a little different than years before. Being able to do the shopping trip with a fussy 3 month old felt like a big success to me. We forgot the stroller and had to put his bucket car seat into a grocery cart (that I pushed around the mall). He had cried his heart out just before going shopping and slept for awhile during (in the grocery cart!) and cried more until I nursed him in the car before we left.

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

My youngest sister was over last night and so we started talking about planning a date for the upcoming 2009 sisters shopping get together. That's how we roll! We make fun of people who plan early and than always plan early ourselves. Just talking about the upcoming holiday season got me excited. Thinking about the scents and the colours and the potential baking I might get around too got me feeling premature festivity but I'm okay with that.

Hosted by imgur.com

Of course I am still digesting thanksgiving dinner but I am already looking forward to upcoming 2009 holiday events. I find that it is the whole 'looking forward' to something that gets me through routine days. Plus, who doesn't love a shopping trip with your sisters?

9 comments:

Meghan said...

That sounds like a lot of fun and I dont think its too early to start planning for the holidays! If you were to say put up a christmas tree right now...that would be too early but your safe!

October 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM  
Sarah Hannaford-Mcgregor said...

Looking forward to it sisters! Remember when I brought my 2 month old to Vancouver on the BUS (!!!!) from Victoria? I must have been crazy or just really wanting to not miss our annual shopping trip!

October 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM  
Krista said...

Ooh, I'm looking forward to it now too. Want to hit up the Circle Craft fair again this year? Nov 11-15. I have a couple of days off around that time... and it's always a nice start to the season (now I'm planning early!) Bring Ben! He enjoyed it last year... after the little Artige pit stop ;)

October 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM  
Nat said...

We do the same thing with "the sisters" and my mom every year. We try and do it without the kids and usually end of getting a nice coffee and just walk around enjoying our free time. I love your matching Pj's. My dad still buys us girls matching PJ's as well as the grandkids and husbands too! I am looking forward to Halloween being over so that we can get in the full swing of Christmas!

October 13, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Sierra said...

I love the holidays! So excited to see what you will be doing for them this year. You are always up to something in the city. The pajama shot is priceless. Did you guys always dress up like that?

October 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM  
Mama in the City said...

I know! That was quite an adventure but you did very well. I will never forget your face coming off the bus. Priceless! And remember no one would help you even though you had a tiny infant and a stroller and carseat and luggage!!

October 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM  
Mama in the City said...

That is a must! If I can remember, Ben had a big cry, a big feed and I put him in my gorgeousbaby sling and he slept. I did enjoy it last year!

October 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM  
Mama in the City said...

We used to do it without kids but the last two years there was always someone breastfeeding. I think one year it would be so nice to book into a hotel with no children..maybe a little holiday spa service too?! Am I getting ahead of myself?!

October 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM  
Mama in the City said...

Thanks for the comment Sierra :) We have been doing matching pajamas for only a few years now. Maybe 4 years?! Something like that. I am sure the boy cousins will be wearing matching PJ's for the holidays.

October 14, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails