Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

The Big And The Little

When I'm working during the week we have a really great nanny that takes care of the kids at our home. Every time she is with them she raves about how well Ben takes care of Josie and how much they play together. Apparently Ben really watches out for her and hearing that makes me very happy. I've always known that he dotes on her but it feels more heart warming to hear that from someone else, especially when I'm not around. He is most definitely her big brother and the relationship between them is pretty awesome.


January 2012. Makings of a brother. The first meeting.


I often get asked if Ben showed any jealousy when his baby sister came along and I can report that this big brother never showed any jealousy towards his little sister or even to me when I've had to do some 1:1 time with her as a little baby. Sure there have been times when Ben has a treat and I ask him to share it with Josie and he breaks off a piece as big as (.) and hands it to her. Overall I got lucky in the sibling department and so far this duo is tight. So much so that Ben actually requested to share a bedroom with Josie. For the first year she hung out next to us in our room but now the two share their bedroom together. How convenient for us as apartment living usually means siblings do end up sharing bedrooms, we just pretend it was Ben's idea.


A little iPhone love from November, 2012

I only grew up with sisters so I don't have any idea about the brother-sister rules for growing up. So far they admire each other immensely and we haven't had to deal with squabbles just yet. I think it is going to be pretty awesome to watch them grow up together. So often I hear the anecdote from people about, 'how lucky Josie has a big brother to watch out for her'. Very cliche when it comes to roles but it's sort of true for us.



August 2012. Bright and early.


March 2013. Snuggles on the water taxi.

Did you grow up with a brother? Do you have any special memories of him and you? I'm really glad to have a boy that is caring and loving like Ben

5 comments:

Aww, those pictures are so sweet. I have a little brother and thought we fought plenty throughout the years as kids, we always did things together and have a ton of good memories to look back on now that we're adults.

March 9, 2013 at 5:18 AM  
mazoola said...

adorable! im not sure what makes sibling relationships different but im sure glad at the number of days off we get at work to spend with the kid(s)

March 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM  

Those pictures totally melt my heart. I really hope I'm able to make Parker an older brother some day. I grew up with two brothers (an older one & a younger one) and I'm still very close to them. We are still each others biggest supporters even when it comes to "awkward" situations like me breastfeeding in pubic or my infertility. They both bravely read my blog. lol.

March 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM  
Krista said...

Aw, what a sweet big brother! Love that he takes care of her, that's the cutest.

I have many fond memories of my older brother... mostly after he moved out of the house ;) But even if he teased me growing up, he always took care of me. Then I returned the favour when we got a little older...

March 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM  
Emily said...

My brother is 21 months younger than me. We are amazing friends, but it wasn't always that way. From the ages of 10-15 we fought a lot, but still got along when we weren't fighting. I'm sure it was terribly trying for my mom. Now as young adults we are very close. It's nice having that person who I have shared my entire life with, who remembers my childhood as a peer, rather than a parent.

Ben and Josie are super adorable together. How lucky they are to have each other!

March 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails