Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Andrea, RN: Back To Work

The regularity of my blog posts go hand in hand with how much time I have to sit quietly and write, and lately that kind of time seems sort of scant. Which is to be expected since I've just finished up my maternity leave and I'm learning to juggle two children and shift work and life. Surprisingly, going back to work has actually been quite fluid for me and it feels like I never even left the hospital. I think that this helped me to adjust to being back to the grind, plus it doesn't hurt that I also feel the love from my coworkers about being back (always a bonus).

I will admit that I shed a tear at the first birth I was at; all day long we laboured together and the mama was so wonderful to spend time with. She knew it was my first birth since being back from my maternity leave and had lots of questions about my own experiences. This is a question I used to dread before I had kids even though I don't think it makes you a better nurse.

Being away from work for a year gave me a great back-to-work pep. For now, I am refreshed and ready to go and actually feel excitement getting to do what I do (I say for now, because we all know that will change). While I did feel professionally refreshed I was a tired nurse. On the mornings I had to leave for the hospital, Josie was calling for me at 4:30 in the morning and I'm just not in love with 'those kind' of early mornings. I'd nurse her and cuddle with her in bed but she sensed my excitement and we were both wide awake. I was also fretting over my alarm clock that was going to buzz. Something I haven't had to deal with in a very long time.






So, I'm back and I'm feeling good about things and learning to embrace the growing pains along the way because I know they will pass. This is my new norm.

3 comments:

Jessica Curlop said...

I really loved that book and I'm so glad to see it has made it into your hands. Happy bath tub reading, one of my faves too!

March 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM  
Tara said...

Such a transition returning to work after mat leave, I had mixed feelings about it. Happy to be out with "adults" and making a living and having a schedule but missing my kids and my home and some freedom.

Of note, having had both my babies at your place of employment, I always love hearing stories of you labouring with mothers, it sometimes brings back memories of my own experiences.

March 2, 2013 at 7:02 AM  
Kristin said...

Big wishes that things iron out nicely over time! What a big transition this will be. Looking forward to following along in this new chapter of yours!

March 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails