Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Moving Pains

I've mostly been keeping it under wraps but last week we moved and are currently knee deep in boxes trying to find a new spots for all of our stuff. Despite the fact that the move was really only from one corner of the city to another corner I was still feeling all wonky and stressed out. I think that any move, near or far, would cause me to feel some uncomfortableness. I'm a creature of comfort and immediately get sweaty and upset when I think about having to uproot and move. So, a few months ago when we were starting to seek a bigger space for our growing family we only ended up moving a few blocks instead of testing out totally new waters (like maybe Hawaii!??).

If my husband had things his way we would live a lot more like nomads, uprooting frequently and living in new places. I'm sure we would move somewhere totally different with actual affordable housing with no friends or family nearby. I'm a sucker for staying in familiar areas because of friends and family, especially so now that I have two kids. He doesn't get all sweaty like me when it comes to change and did a lot of moving around in his 20's just for fun.


Loved renting Frog Boxes/Packed all the wine glasses/First morning in their new bedroom

While we were busy packing we were remarking about how Ben must taken after my dear husband as he was super chill about moving, but as the days went on it turns out that Ben takes after me. Moving is stressful when you are a kid, even if it is just down the block. Moving signifies change and change means leaving behind things that you know which can be a little bit uncomfortable when you are 4 (or 33!). Despite my own uncertainty about having to move, I had to suck it up for Ben and help him feel comfortable with what was going on even though my insides were a whirly mess of emotions. And. That. Is. Motherhood.



We've been in our new home for a couple of days and we are already filling up all of the extra space that we came for. Right now things don't feel so sweaty and uncomfortable and slowly everything is finding a new spot. Ben is getting used to the new place and keeps asking questions about all of our stuff. 'Is this the same bed as our last place? Is this the our old television?'. After a few days of upset he told me that he really loved our new condo and wants to stay here forever and ever. Don't worry little guy, your mama doesn't like to move. Time to make new memories in our new home!

4 comments:

Wait - so you're outta the Yaletown area now? Will I still get to bump into you at Urban Fare or Starbucks?!

January 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM  
Unknown said...

We are still in the same hood! Literally from one corner to the other! We will still run in to each other!

January 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM  
Kristin said...

Congratulations on your big, but little move! Yay for staying in the same hood. What a great hood it is!

January 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM  
Unknown said...

COngratulations on your move. I am like you. I don't relish change. I grew up in the same house my whole life and my parents still live there now. So I keep telling myself that where we live now is my forever house.

January 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails