Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Happy Wine Friday!

When it comes to choosing a wine I've got a few favourite picks that I'd love to share. Back when my husband and I were hot and heavy in the dating scene, circa 2002/2003. We totally had a love affair and really lived it up by going out for many delicious dinners. We wined and dined our way through many restaurants in the city. For the most part, those rendezvous have came to a screeching halt since we welcomed our first born into the world. We still have dinner dates but not at the same frequency as we once day. However, the positive thinker in me believe that this will one day rekindle when my kids are older.


My go to wine for celebrating big moments, or just the fact that it's the weekend, is the sauvignon blanc by Australian winery Kim Crawford. I first tried this wine while out at a seafood restaurant in Steveston a few years back and it was love at first taste. When I was pregnant with Josie I had mad cravings for this wine and a girlfriend of mine snuck a bottle into the hospital post partum. Turns out the maternity staff room has a corkscrew! This bottle usually is around $19-21 in Vancouver but my sources tell me that at the Costco in Maui it was scored for $14 a bottle. Seriously, good to know.


My favourite wine to sip with my husband over dinner or after the babes are in bed is from a local Okanagan winery, Blasted Church. While they have many great wines my favourite is the Hatfields Fuse. This is the kind of wine that I love to keep stocked in my fridge and will usually buy more than one bottle at a time. I also love the stories behind each label. A few years ago my husband and I visited this winery and have been hooked ever since.


I often pick a white wine over a red wine but I have soft spot for the middle ground of rose wines. I really like the rose by Quails Gate which is another local wine. This is also a somewhat thrifty bottle with great taste. At about $14 it is delicious and always a crowd pleaser.


I remember being absolutely shocked when I first bought wine in the US. It was ridiculously cheap in comparison and found on grocery store shelves. I remember seeing $4 bottles that would be $10 in Vancouver. In BC you can only buy alcohol at a liquor shop or in a speciality wine boutique. There is no wine stocking the shelves at our local grocer and we also have higher prices due to ridiculous wine taxes. In breaking Vancouver news, we now can bring our own wine into some restaurants and pay a corkage fee, which ranges from $5 to $38 and some restaurants have specific stipulations.

Happy wine Friday to all those participating!









10 comments:

Michelle said...

My sweet spot is Rose wines too! I keep trying the more expensive ones but always go back to the cheapo one from Copper Moon. It's guaranteed goodness! Have you ever tried the Riesling by Dr.Loosen (german). Perfect for Thanksgiving!
I couldn't believe the wine prices when I first visited the Costco in Seattle. Made me so upset I couldn't take them home. It's funny when you are in Maui, the booze is cheaper than eating there!
Have a wonderful weekend!
-Michelle {LiveLoudly}

October 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM  
Tarable said...

Taking down notes for when my Whole30 is over...

October 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM  
mitzi said...

do you have to 'pump and dump' post wine intake?

October 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM  

Oh no! I basically drink to the same point that I'd drive a car legally. Now that Josie is older and not breastfeeding 'as much' (still a lot, oh this girl!) I can drink more as it is longer in between nursing sessions. However, since I've got two wee ones to take care of I never get totally hammered ;) 2 glasses of vino is good for me!

October 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM  

What are you talking about Tara? You are the queen of knowing which wine is what! And way to go on your Whole30. Going to recommend a girlfriend to your blog. I think she could be inspired.

October 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM  

Actually, yes I have had the Dr. Loosen riesling and I LOVED IT. It was the first fancy bottle of wine that we ordered in a fancy restaurant back in our dating days. Loved that you mentioned it!

October 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM  

oh how i love wine too. " just a small glass of wine makes the studying go down!" (yes, wine is my nightly study partner, it relaxes me into those textbooks!!) there is a restaurant in town that hosted a Blasted Church 5-course meal pairing. It would have made for a great date night, eh?

October 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM  
Tarable said...

Oh don't get me wrong, I have several delicious wines that I have on regular rotation in my house - but these ones you have mentioned are all new to me so I'm taking note to try in a couple of weeks!


If you're into roses, my absolute favourite is Road 13 - Honest John's Rose. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

October 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM  
Tarable said...

Taking down notes for when my Whole30 is over...

October 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM  
Michelle said...

My sweet spot is Rose wines too! I keep trying the more expensive ones but always go back to the cheapo one from Copper Moon. It's guaranteed goodness! Have you ever tried the Riesling by Dr.Loosen (german). Perfect for Thanksgiving!
I couldn't believe the wine prices when I first visited the Costco in Seattle. Made me so upset I couldn't take them home. It's funny when you are in Maui, the booze is cheaper than eating there!
Have a wonderful weekend!
-Michelle {LiveLoudly}

October 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails