Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Boo! Halloween Costumes Past And Present

This will be Ben's fourth time dressing up in a costume for Halloween and the boy is very excited. In the past he has been a skeleton, an itsy bitsy spider and last years requested hamburger with cheese. This year he has requested to be superman/a dinosaur/batman/a ghost. Basically, everything sounds like a really great idea to Ben and he is passionate about multiple ideas. I think I'll just have to pick something out for him and go with it.


2009


2010


2011

I really love the idea of making children's costumes and admire the few girlfriends I have who haul out the sewing machine and stay up late making gorgeous handmade costumes for their little ones. I knew that wouldn't happen over here and went out and bought pre made packaged costume the last three years. The thing with having brand new costumes each and every year is that they add up environmentally and for the most part costumes are worn once and outgrown then discarded. When I heard about the National Costume Swap that was happening all over, I became really interested in partaking. Heck, we've got a skeleton, a spider and a hamburger up for grabs over here! They've had a bit of extra play over the years but for the most part they've sat crated up in our storage room in perfect condition.

"The thing with having brand new costumes each and every year is that they add up environmentally and for the most part costumes are worn once and outgrown then discarded."


National Costume Swap Day in Canada is October 13th and happening in many different cities. Yaletown's 4 Cats Art Studio will be hosting my local swap and I'm totally checking it out. I know a Wonder Woman and a Mario Brother who will be trick or treating this Halloween. What's your plan for this Halloween? Any awesome ideas to share?


1 comments:

Those are some adorable costumes! Especially the spider, too cute. I think it's great that 4Cats is hosting a costume swap, so great to have one in the neighbourhood now.


I like to set expectations pretty low around Halloween and costumes. :) I let my kids choose from the 4 or 5 costumes we have around the house (right now we have a pirate, an alien, a dragon and Spiderman), and if one of those still fits, that's what they wear. If nothing fits or they're not too passionate about what we already have, then I head to the thrift store. I scored our adorable dragon costume from Old Navy at Value Village last year. Craigslist is a great resource for gently used items too!


Happy costume swapping!

October 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails