Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

An Inspired Neapolitan Layer Birthday Cake

This past weekend we went to a birthday party for one of Ben's little friends who was turning 5 and the birthday cake that was served totally impressed me. The birthday girls mom happens to be an old friend from nursing school (hi, Heidi!) and has some mean baking skills. For her daughters celebration she whipped up a birthday cake that looked like a small labour of love. Pink swirly roses of soft icing covered the layers upon layers of perfectly moist cake. Vanilla, strawberry, chocolate and repeat. A truly perfect birthday cake in my opinion. There is something about layered cakes that entice me and make me wish I was a better baker.




"Pink swirly roses made from soft whipped icing covered the layers upon layers of perfectly moist cake. Vanilla, strawberry, chocolate and repeat. A truly perfect birthday cake."


It turns out that my friend Heidi was inspired by the cake recipe from the blog Sweetapolita and used the Neapolitan 5 layer birthday cake. I'm loving the inspiration and enjoying the eye candy photography from Sweetapolita. I think I feel my blood sugar levels rising just perusing her pages! I wonder if I could get into baking amazing creations like this Neapolitan 5 layer cake? My biggest problem with baking is my lack of patience when it comes to really fiddly detail. I know that I would love to bake my children amazing birthday cakes, like Ben's dinosaur birthday cake, but I could see myself being one big ball of stress when layers crumbled or icing got lumpy.

I'm happy to report that I did indulge in a slice of this birthday cake. I was most interested in how delicious it tasted and it turns out that it was worth every calorie. I think if you are going to indulge in cake at least let it be something really worth it and not a grocery store version that is only mediocre. Heidi, your cake was worth the splurge!


Heidi's SIX layer Neapolitan Birthday Cake

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Andrea, thanks for your lovely post. And baking like this is certainly NOT something I do every day. Though I do find it fun to do a special cake for occasions like the girls' birthdays. The trick to not getting stressed out this time around was to do all the cake baking a couple of days before, on a morning where I had nothing else planned. So I spent Friday morning baking the 3 cakes (which were later cut in half, horizontally). Once they cooled, I just wrapped them up in saran wrap and popped them in the fridge and they were ready to use. Then all I had to do the day before the party was assemble the cake layers, and make the icing and ice the cake. Not too bad, for a day after coming off a night shift! I will continue to look for new ways to do most of the work ahead of time, to be the least stressed possible when it comes to the hours right before the party.
Happy baking, Andrea!
Love Heidi

September 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM  

oh how yum. i just might know a princess who would love this cake for her birthday party! ; )

September 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM  
Michelle said...

Smart idea! I get stressed dedicating so much time in one day to baking. This totally cuts down the time and makes it managable. Thanks for the tip! -Michelle

September 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM  
kristina said...

That looks awesome! A friend of mine is making my wedding cake. I think this would look great if we did a couple tiers (small garden wedding)

September 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM  

Actually, that is great thinking! This cake would be really awesome at a wedding!!

September 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM  

Thanks Heidi! Can't wait to see your future creations. Alex is sad he missed out on the cake haha!

September 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM  

That cake is absolutely beautiful. Yum.

September 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails