Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

It's Morning Time Mama! Sleep=Love

It doesn't matter if you have kids or not, there are probably many mornings where you wake up and feel like a big groggy mess and wish for just a bit more sleep. Thinking about getting out of bed and starting the day seem near impossible. Thats when you start wishing you hadn't stayed up so late the night before watching just one more episode of 'The Wire' (yes, that was me!).





I know that I've got it pretty nice right now and most mornings my husband takes morning duty with Ben around here. Ever since we were dating he has always been more of an early riser than me. So, he gets up with Ben, often at 6 AM or even before, and makes sure Ben has breakfast and a good bit of play time before he sends him in to the bedroom to greet me. I often wake up to gleeful shouts of,'good morning MAMA! It's morning time!'.

As a breastfeeding mum to a 6 month old, the extra sleep in the morning is a huge perk for me. This arrangement works so well mainly as my husband works from home, so instead of having to spend time commuting to the office, he's able to spend the time with our children. Really that is a huge bonus all around.

On this particular morning our girl Josie woke up around 6:30 AM, not too shabby, and I could hear my husband and Ben playing in the living room. So, I called out to ask if he'd take the baby for a little bit while I reeled from that groggy feeling. He swooped in and snatched that baby right out of our bedroom and I slept on for another hour. Total bliss and I am so very thankful for that. For me, even if I had a busy night parenting our teething Josie, there is something about that extra morning sleep that can really make me feel rested.





So, while I had an extra hour of sleep (with no one touching me or needing to nurse) my husband took our two and played and did a little photo session in their pyjamas. For me any extra sleep is an act of love. In return, my husband gets to have an afternoon nap when he wants one; sleep equals love in our home right now.

14 comments:

Madelene said...

What a great post. I can really see the lot here. I'm more of a 'wine and dine to show me your love' kind of gal! As long as each partner knows each others love language!

July 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM  

oh i could not agree with you more on this. whenever kevin is home (because he travels a lot) or doesn't have a morning conference call he always takes the girls down for breakfast and even though i might not be sleeping, it am taking my time getting up. it is like an act of love and i am grateful that i don't have to ask. what a great photo shoot with your little ones!

July 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM  
Ashley S said...

Sleep is one of the most beautiful things you can ever be given!!

July 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM  
harrietglynn said...

It really is! Sleep=Love! Love it.

July 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM  
Mrs Loquacious said...

Sleep is my love language too! :) My hubby also works from home; I'd be interested in hearing how you divvy up child-rearing responsibilities and when/if your hubby "spells you off" during the day/evening so that you can have some time to yourself, or to do chores, or to shower. It's a constant dance of negotiation in our household :/

July 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM  
Amanda said...

Now that is an equation I can really get my head around!

July 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM  
Tarable said...

Ugh, I remember being up all night feeding and just finally feeling the good solid sleep sink in when the baby (pick one!) was ready to get up at an awful early hour. You're very lucky to have a hubby who's so hands on and likes to see the sun rise!

July 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM  

Yes! It's funny cause before kids it used to drive me nuts on holidays that he'd be up at like 5 AM. I always liked to sleep in and lounge and by the time I'd roll out of bed, he would have been up for 5 hours ;)

July 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM  

I know this for sure! Both as a mum and as a shift working nurse. SO glad I am on maternity leave and just have to battle one reason for wanting a bit of an extra snooze.

July 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM  

You know, we have really evolved over the last 3 years with this issue. It used to be more of a struggle figuring out our roles. When we just had 1 baby and I went back to work, child care was a huge issue for us. Since my husband worked from home, he did have some flexibility with shaping his work schedule around my shift working hospital schedule.
However, we very happily found an amazing at home day care and booked in for 2 days a week when he was 2.
Now my husband works more concrete Mon-Fri 9-5 kind of at home hours. He does do the mornings with our oldest but then checks 'into the office'. There are pro and cons to the whole thing ;)

July 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM  

Josie is so adorable! I agree, the morning sleep is the one that has me feeling most rested. Thankfully it's summer, which means my 6 year old sleeps in more than usual!

July 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM  
kristin said...

oh how i agree.. sleep does equal love!! love your photos! beautiful shots!!

July 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM  
RuminatingMommy said...

My husband and I are watching "Lost" on Netflix every evening - it's a commitment (forgot how many seasons there were....). Baby isn't sleeping through the night anymore - uggghhh thanks teething - so I alway regret staying up. Of course I stay up late again the next night.... Our kids are up between 5:30 and 6:30 every morning no matter what. My Husband gets up with them to give me an extra 2 hours of sleep - don't know how long this arrangement will last....

July 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM  
blue0116 said...

hey êtes à l'aise et au chaud. Il ya un large éventail de vestes France Abercrombie and Fitch à choisir. La veste Wakely, par exemple, vient en tissu robuste à la recherche militaire, qui est extrêmement populaire auprès des jeunes hommes. Ils sont faits de coton 100% robuste et intérieur doux et chaleureux pour votre confort.dsaf

August 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails