Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

You won't find me hanging out in my bathing suit this summer season, at least not willingly or carefree. I've packed away the 2 piece for now and it's shoved way back in my closet. Maybe it'll come out next summer? I've still got a good 12 pounds of pregnancy weight on me and I literally feel it. I can feel the softness of my tummy that once stretched to hold 9 pounds of Josie. I run my hands over my hips and feel the rolls and rub the faint stretch marks that surfaced over 6 months ago. These jiggly bits are lurking far too long for my liking and I just don't feel like showcasing my post partum self just yet.

I'm trying not to obsess or focus too much energy on how I look right now and I'd like to believe that this is a temporary state. One that just so happens to coincide with a time where tank tops and shorts are the current uniform of choice. I acknowledge, with extreme gratitude, the changes my body went through to grow my baby. I just wish things would snap back together in a more timely fashion.

A time will come this summer season that will require me to put on a bathing suit. I'm sure of it. Maybe it will be on a trip to Whistler for a little poolside relaxation with my family or maybe it'll be during an over nighter to Harrison Hot Springs with the kids and my sister. A bathing suit will have to be packed in my weekend bag for events like those. This mama will want to splash around with her two wee ones and enjoy the moment.


It's okay to have chunky thighs and a ripply bottom when you are 6 months old! In fact, it is even encouraged and celebrated!

It's probably time to get myself to a proper swim shop and locate a bathing suit that will tuck in my nursing breasts, pull in my post partum tummy and let me just soak in the sunshine and forget about judging myself. I've got a pretty cute bathing beauty to tote around pool side.

10 comments:

I am allergic to wearing bathing suits too. I particularly dislike the cellulite on my legs that I can feel wiggling while I walk. I love your blog. I love how you write about simple, everyday things and I love your honesty.

July 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM  
Sherri_Blanks said...

WOW WOW WOW. You are right on with and are reading my mind! I had my baby in Feb. 2012 and still feel way too rolly with baby weight to even want to wear shorts outside. UGH.

July 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM  
Lara @manysmallthings said...

I haven't had a baby yet and I still don't love having to put a bathing suit on. I try to rock it as much as I can but I still get that wobbly feeling in my stomach. Aie!

July 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM  
Amanda said...

I went to Swimco and they hooked me up with a tankini that made me feel comfortable in my own skin after i had Lilah. You should check it out - they know their stuff!

July 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM  
kristin said...

i can totally relate to being allergic to bathing suites... although right now I have a big baby belly and definitely wont be getting into one freely :) I LOVE that sweet picture of your cute little girl!! just adorable!!


A new follower loving your blog!! :)

July 20, 2012 at 7:56 AM  

Thank you Lisa! You made my night with your sweet compliment. :)

July 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM  

Hey! Thanks Kristin. When I was pregnant I actually loved wearing a bathing suit. What the?! Yeah, I just loved having the nice big belly to hide behind and make everything look smaller haha.

July 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM  

Perfect! Thank you. :)

July 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM  
First time mom said...

I break out in hives when I even think about a bathing suit! And your lil' girl is soooo cute! If only I could pull off thighs like that!

July 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM  

I think chubby thighs are definitely cute on a baby. I'll be bathing suit shopping in a few weeks. Hoping it goes well!

July 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails