Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Oh, sweet Josephine

Tomorrow my baby is 5 months old and I've settled into a wonderful groove in my maternity leave. I've been off work for over 6 months and it feels wonderful! I'm so to live in a country that has such great parental leave. Thanks Canada!

While I'm only getting about 55% of pay right now, being at home and knowing my job still exists for me is great. I am so appreciative to be able to spend this short time watching my baby grow.

Returning to work still feels so far off that I can't yet entertain the thought of being nurse Andrea. I know that February 2013 will eventually creep up, but for now we have the summer to look forward to and new baby milestones to clap over.





At 5 months old this baby rolls over both ways, loves to stand with assist and sits for seconds by herself. She won't take a soother but you can bet she will try to jam your hand into her mouth. She smiles a lot, coos and babbles and with talk back to you if you make silly noises.

Oh, sweet Josephine I am so happy that I get to spend my days with you.


9 comments:

kristin said...

What a gorgeous babe!  So so so happy we are able to spend our first year with our babies and watch all these changes happen!  

June 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM  
Ashley S said...

Such a little love, sigh.  I miss baby days - sometimes.

June 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM  
huntersprize said...

Yes, you do have an excellent maternity option in Canada! I work part time and my employers were really generous with my maternity leave but there is nothing here in the US that compares to what you have!

I love her cute little bald head and chubby thighs! 

June 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM  
Amanda said...

She really is sweet! And we really are lucky to 1) have the option of a year leave and 2)be able to swing it financially.

June 18, 2012 at 1:53 AM  
Miss GGVancouver said...

Unfortunately not all women that take 1 year maternity leave have their jobs when they come back. It's like that in paper, but not in the real corporate Vancouver world. If you are unionized or work for the government, you will have your job back, if not, chances are your position will be redundant when you come back, or unfortunately some corporate restructuration has eliminated your position.

June 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM  

Good point and thanks for adding that one. I know the doctors I work with 'allow' themselves 6 months leave max, in order to maintain their practice. As a RN I am unionized and that makes a big difference in job security. Crazy enough, I also collect vacation time while on maternity leave (pretty sweet bonus).

June 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM  

So very true Amanda. I've had a few friends that have gone back to work at the hospital after about 6 months. We get a 85% top up for the first 16 weeks and then it goes to the 55%. My first mat leave I purposefully saved an extra 10K to use for living expenses once the top up stopped (wise advice a mom of 4 gave me!).

June 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM  

Oh my, what a cute babe! It seems like years ages ago that I had a baby that little. Enjoy your summer with the kiddies:)

Raj
Pink Chai Style

June 24, 2012 at 9:22 PM  
blue0116 said...

Les hommes de fonctionnement chaussures présente un maximum de confort et de soutien pour le jogger cherche un tour de prime avec ajustement. Air Max sont devenus des globe beaucoup plus intérieur préférée, de nombreuses personnes comme eux tous, et de les utiliser pour le sport, et envisager d'introduire des Nike Air Max pour les hommes, ce chaussures de marque nouvelle actualisation aura certainement des gens d'activité ajouté l'excitation. Le port de Nike Air est vraiment un régal.
vb

August 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails