Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

A Seawall Walk With My Family On New Years Day

Today was a quiet day for the three of us and it included taking down the Christmas tree and all of the decorations. Apparently, this was very traumatic for my 3 year old and he kept questioning what I was doing.

'Why do we have to take the tree down? Where are all the Christmas presents that were underneath? I want to keep the decorations in my room! Why do we have to take the tree down?'

He even snuck a few ornaments out of the packed boxes and put them into his room. Luckily, I'm able to outsmart a 3 year old and put them back to be stored away for another year. Also, even though we didn't put tinsel on the tree this year there are still strands of it flying around. How does this happen?

It was a pretty quiet day for the three of us and once the afternoon rolled around we determined it was best spent outside for a family walk...err waddle! We slowly paced ourselves down the seawall and I kept pace with our old 14 year old dog and Ben zoomed on his Strider bike. We sat and sipped at one of the only independent coffee shops that was open on New Years Day, and went to two different playgrounds.

Ben was in a very smoochy mood and was really enjoying the attention of both parents. He also loved feeling the baby kick and roll around as we played. People love to ask us if Ben is prepared to be a big brother and truthfully I don't think you can really ever fully prepare a young child. Sure, he loves to talk about the baby and if you ask him what the baby will eat when they will arrive he will give you the full run down about breast milk. But, I'm still not convinced that he will ever truly be ready to share our attention the moment we bring baby home from the hospital.




Considering it was January 1 today, it wasn't that cold outside. So, I'd like my Florida family to see the sweaters that we are wearing...outside...in January! I love these mild Winter days in Vancouver and I'm so happy we were able to embrace today. I've been cooped up in the apartment for far too long and the sun and fresh air invigorated me.


6 comments:

Ashley S said...

Love the photos!  And no they aren't ever totally ready to be a big sibling, I remember when our oldest met the youngest - she was infatuated until Audrey started to cry, then she cried too.  It was their first vocal performance.  I expected jealousy or sadness, but in a matter of minutes she was in love and has been ever since.  They're bigger now and they argue and fight, but they insist on sleeping in the same room, and don't like to go anywhere without the other.  Prepared or not, they figure it out!

January 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM  
Molly W. (@infertilenanny) said...

your photos are so beautiful and priceless! I can tell already that Ben is going to be an amazing older brother!

January 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM  

Love those photos, especially the last one!! 

January 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM  
huntersprize said...

I love that it's green there! Here in Colorado, everything dries out and turns brown in winter. 

And I know what you mean, as people ask me if Jacob knows about the baby. Yes, of course! But does he know how much it will change his little world of just the three of us? Nope! But it will be ok, eventually.

January 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM  
Geni T said...

After spending the last two winters in Edmonton doing nursing school, I'm happy to be back home in Victoria, enjoying sweater weather too.  I love your sweater!  You were wearing it in another post recently - did you make it?  I'm hoping you did, so I can discover the pattern and make it myself.  :D 

January 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM  
kristin said...

Such great photos of you, Ben and Belly!  Fresh West Coast air is always so great, eh?

January 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails