Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Every year I meet up with my girlfriend Krista and we go off and do something to celebrate the Christmas season. Some years it has been a nice lunch out, or a fancy high tea or some other little luxury. This year we met up at Spa Utopia downtown for a little polishing and painting of our tootsies. It was one of those really nice afternoons filled with lounging, girl talk and celebrating tradition. Plus a pedicure at Spa Utopia is a big treat for me and I do enjoy a good treat!


Not my feet, I saved you from viewing my own puffy swollen pregnant feet!

I think one of the reasons that I get so into the holidays is largely because of traditions, and Christmas is filled with so much of that. Having things to look forward to year after year warms me up and makes me feel happy. It also is a good way to force myself to slow down and take the time to celebrate people that are important in my life.

It is also apparent that I love to make events special by adding the word 'annual' to them. Which is why this year I've already been to my 3rd annual Christmas cookie exchange and my 12th annual sisters Christmas shopping weekend! I seriously just can't help myself. Having an annual event helps to create tradition and I love that. It is also the reason why I sit down and write Christmas cards every year, even even if I'm falling down tired or back in the day when Ben was 4 months old and cried day in and day out. Writing Christmas cards and mailing them off is a tradition that I purposefully keep.

Do you have any traditions that give you that warm holiday feeling?

4 comments:

Marisa said...

My younger brother and I used to always open the "smallest" gift under the tree on Christmas Eve when we were children.  It was such a treat to open something early!  As the years passed, the tradition changed so that we opened the gifts from each other on Christmas eve instead.  I love how it made that gift extra special and gave us time to truly appreciate what we had given and received, before the chaos and excitement of the plethora of gifts on Christmas morning occurred.  Even now - I'm 33 and he's 30 - we still keep the tradition going.  I plan to do the same when my son has sibling(s) down the road.  Merry Christmas and Happy 2012 to you and your family!  :)

December 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM  
Molly W said...

My parents, little brother, and I always go on a sleigh ride through town (even though its for kids and not 20something adults). Unfortunately, this year I couldn't make it since I had birthing class. I'm still bummed I missed out. *I'm also very envious of your spa day. 

December 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM  

I LOVE that tradition!! It reminded me of when I was a little girl and we were allowed to open 1 small gift on Christmas Eve before bedtime. Usually it was something some distant family member sent, and one year I remember it being collectable stamps...but the excitement of looking forward to that one present was the best!!

December 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM  

The spa day was nice. It should be mandatory for all pregnant mamas to spend some time at the spa before they give birth!

December 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails