Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Last week my college friend Heidi came for a visit with her 2 little girls. What a delight when she showed up with a huge box of freshly plucked garden treats from her farm in the Fraser Valley, Simple Roots Farm.

I was most excited when I saw sweet little purple potatoes in the box. They instantly reminded me of a delicious brunch I had last year on a sunny patio in Kauai, Hawaii; the Moloka'i Sweet Potato Hash with purple potatoes, pulled pork and topped off with two eggs. It was delicious!

Of course I automatically put the request in to my husband to try and recreate the dish. He took the general idea and added his own flair and the final dish was tasty. We roasted peppers from the farm, added some fresh corn and sauteed onions to add to the mix.









The purple potatoes were a big hit and had such a unique and hearty flavour, I wish I could eat them all the time! A perfect compliment to the pulled pork and vegetables.





The final dish, our Hawaiian inspired pulled pork potato hash with onions, peppers and corn topped with a poached egg. Once pierced the poached egg gives a really lovely smoothness to the dish. I was so happy to have the treats from Simple Roots Farm.

5 comments:

erune said...

My first time to your blog and you have me hooked...primarily because you included the words Kaua'i in your post!  That's where I grew up.  Our shared love of purses and breastfeeding were just extra!  ;)

September 6, 2011 at 1:51 AM  
Heidi said...

Wow Andrea, love seeing what you and Alex came up with.  You are both so creative when it comes to cooking.  I'll have to post this recipe on our farm blog :)  It was great to see you last week.  Let's plan another meet-up soon.

September 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM  

We used the beets the next night along with some more of the potatoes. Shredded them up, mixed them together with a little olive oil and shaped into a patty and then cooked them up. Delicious!!!

September 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Maybe you are my Hawaii twin? I do have a strong love for Hawaii!! So sad we aren't making it there this year. Hoping to go for an extended time during my maternity leave :)

September 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails