Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Ramblings From The Night Shift

I'm post night shift and feeling rather blah at the moment. Which is the usual feeling I get after swinging around and working through the night. Right now I'm craving endless moments of lounging in my bed and eating a massive amount of carbohydrates and fat. Something about that combination seems like the perfect rescue from a night shift hangover, and a big stack of pancakes will often do the trick.





Lately I've been dreaming about going to Hawaii again, specifically the island of Maui. A coworker just came back from two weeks away there and she was oozing relaxation and sun kissed skin. I've been letting myself day dream about eating pineapple at the beach and taking in the sunny sights with my little family. The idea of a few weeks away in the bliss of Hawaii is helping me get through this night shift hangover.

Hosted by imgur.com
Walking the beach in Maui, 2009

Hopefully, tomorrow the sun will shine in Vancouver and I can kick this sluggish post night shift feeling. I'll walk around the seawall with Ben and wave our little Canada flags in celebration of Canada's birthday. What are you doing this long weekend?

5 comments:

I want to go to Hawaii too...even though I've never been. I'm planning to go for 2013 with the kids (2012 is for Disneyland). :)

June 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM  
Jessica said...

That stack of pancakes looks mighty delicious! I agree that carbs and fat are good feel good foods when you are tired. My go to is a bagel lathered with cream cheese. Yum.

June 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Amy VanD said...

I really love Hawaii too and it does give off that sense of well being and health, which is probably why you are day dreaming about it right now. 

July 1, 2011 at 7:19 AM  
Geni T said...

I'm doing my senior preceptorship right now in Edmonton, and on my first stretch of nights.  Wow... I don't know how you guys DO this!  I'm starting to adjust (tonight is night 4 of 6, so I'd hope so) but I swap immediately back to days.  Yikes.  I should have done nursing school right after high school - 30something year old me doesn't do this strange sleep thing well anymore!

And now I'm going to make a giant stack of pancakes, because those look amazing.  

July 1, 2011 at 5:27 PM  

Good luck with your nursing preceptorship! Back in the day when I was in my early 20's, doing night shifts were no problem at all. I would do back to back nights with very little sleep in between and I felt great. As soon as I got into my late 20's and my 30's....it was a totally different story. Blargh.

July 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails