Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Wearing Pants At Home Can Be A Good Thing

A perk of living in a condo is people can't show up at your front door unexpectedly. Instead, there is a process to go through to get through the main door and even into the elevator. Once you get through the front door, you still need to be 'buzzed' upstairs to give you access to a specific floor. Because of this, I've grown accustom to the luxury of not having people just 'pop by'. This means I'm often at home wearing a shirt with no bra, or my hair is tied up in a messy ponytail. Sometimes it also means I'm wearing my big pink housecoat at 11 o'clock in the morning (or 12 noon, I can't lie).

Fast forward to today: I decided to haul out the carpet cleaner and do a big deep clean of the main carpeted areas. This is something I don't love doing but being on vacation sort of gives me the opportunity to do all those dreaded tasks.

I hadn't done my hair, so it was in it's natural wavy (fuzzy!) state atop my head and I was wearing an old ratty tank top. Thank goodness I had a bra on for once! Seriously, that puppy comes off for the most part when I'm lounging at home. I was also glistening with sweat from the vigorous nature that carpet cleaning is, making for some sweet sweat spots dotting my tank top. Meanwhile, Ben was running around the apartment with only a shirt on. As in, the boy was totally and completely pant less. Only a little green t-shirt on his toddler self.

I had taken a break from the carpet cleaning and that's when I heard it. The faint 'tap tap' of someone knocking on my front door. But who could it be? I hadn't buzzed anyone upstairs. I peered out of the peephole to see my friendly next door neighbour standing on the other side of the door. I did a quick adjustment of my tank top, wiped the sweat off my face and opened the door. This gets Ben's attention and he runs up to the door to greet our visitor, who then kindly points out my son is naked. Oops! Why, yes he is!


'Uh oh! Hello? Whose there?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Too funny! As a condo dweller, I can totally relate! My neighbours have seen me at my worst. :o)

May 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM  
Frankie said...

Tee Hee. Oh Andrea! I love that hair. I wear something very similar when I'm left to my own devices at home. I'd have to hurry and put clothes on if someone knocked at my front door. Of course I live alone but still!

May 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM  
Kristin said...

Ha! This made me laugh!
We once lived in a Yaletown condo and knew NO ONE in Vancouver so I felt completely safe letting it all go in the comfort of my condo! When we moved to our "fishbowl" townhome I suddenly felt ashamed of my pastel pink, fleece, zip up, collared, down to my feet, grandmother style house coat! I no longer wore it in private!

May 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM  

That is a great story and I love your honesty about your grandma housecoat! We all have one, right? ;)

May 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM  
Ncrang said...

I received my coco and tini bath products yesterday and the girls can not get enough of all of it! Nyla loves the smell of the shampoo and body wash. I have a feeling I will be ordering more as we are already going through it quickly!

May 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM  
H Fancott said...

Tee hee. I live in a house in a nieghbourhood full of people prone to dropping by so I make a point of getting dressed everyday (the only standard there is no pajamas ;). I don't hold Theo up the same INCREDIBLY HIGH standards, and he is frequently pantless. I also have a terrible habit of not wiping his face!

May 6, 2011 at 6:13 AM  

Hahaha! I'm in Yaletown too and often wearing my housecoat (a cast off huge sweatshirt from my husband) while doing a bit of housework. Also use it to protect my clothes from toddler hands/nose.

I had a very unexpected knock at the door a few weeks back. No one had buzzed up but I thought it might be our resident manager knocking. Opened the door to the.... VPD gang squad. They were just as surprised to see a mom with toddler on hip (apron on no less!) as I was to see them. Our unit was a rental for many years before we bought it and it seems an unsavory type recently listed our address as his. Kinda scary, kinda funny.

PS. Totally not a stalker but think I have run into your son and DH at the park before. Your son was very patient with my 18 month old and let him hang around as he blew bubbbles. Very cute!

May 8, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

Yep! Yep! That was probably them! My boy is on a bit of a bubble kick right now and he is learning to share too. Usually he is a bit shy and we found having something like bubbles gets him interacting :)

May 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails