Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Under The Weather: Mum's Don't Get Sick Days

The time line looks something like this:

-Work many busy physical shifts in a row and don't catch the opportunity to get any proper rest to recover (and by rest I mean really awesome sleep!).

-Hang out in the labour room all day with your patients partner who has a bad cold...but really, what are you going to do as the labour nurse? You just suck it up and pass the tissues and keep on going.

-Follow 2 busy shifts with a horrible night of insomnia and continue to go to work despite being awake since 3 AM.

-Start to feel run down but keep on pushing through. Mum's don't get sick days right? I have too much to do!

- Achoo! The fever starts. The aches and pains. The yucky cold hits me.





And there you have it! The complete, and obvious, time line of why I am under the weather. On a side note, I am on vacation in 10 days and it can't come soon enough. The positive part of me thought, 'well if I'm sick now that means I won't be for my vacation right?'.

9 comments:

Nadine_Waters said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear you are sick. Mums have it pretty tricky. You don't get the 'man flu' so you can't go off and quarantine yourself like most men do! No wonder you got sick with your crazy schedule and lack of sleep and being exposed to those germs. Take it easy and get better really really fast!! Well, at least in time for your vacation!

April 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM  
Cheryl_98 said...

I don't know how you do it. I don't have kids but I do work full time, also a RN, and I am beat at the end of my set. I nap on my days off and feel really worn down for the first few days off.

April 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM  
Ashley said...

Oh man! I hope you're feeling better soon! I know all too well how mommies don't get breaks and how much being sick sucks! Here's sending you wishes of sweet dreams and warm soup delivered by a hubby who loves you and a little boy full of medicinal hugs and kisses!

April 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh yuck! That sounds like the full body run down! All a mama needs when she is sick is for someone to take care of her! I hope you have someone bringing you coffee in the morning and chicken soup for lunch. Hope you feel better soon! And yay for an upcoming vacation!

April 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM  
Lindz said...

Hey Andrea, I hope you feel better soon... its better to be sick now while the weather sucks so that you can enjoy your vacation in a couple of weeks. I will talk to someone (haven't figured out who yet) about requesting some sunshine and rest for you!

April 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM  
Jessica P. said...

Yes! I agree! Get better ASAP. I am betting there will be some good sunshine coming up on your vacation time.

April 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM  
Lisa said...

I got sick recently and thought- well, duh, you work with germy kids, you didn't sleep much for a week and you ate like crap. You didn't see that coming? haha.

I hope you feel better soon and enjoy your time off!

April 15, 2011 at 3:43 AM  

I know! I know! Funny enough, not really funny, I was just thinking patting myself on the back and thinking about how I got through that crazy whirlwind of germs and lack of sleep without getting sick. Literally the very next day I start to get a tickle in my throat and feel so tired despite sleeping all night....then TADA..full on sick. I need to keep those thoughts a lot quieter!

April 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

Awe, your comment made me smile! For a second, it must be the cold medication, I was really interested in who you might be talking to about my request for sunshine. Well, whomever you did talk to...it worked! There is sunshine coming in the windows in my bedroom. Despite the fact that I am sick in the bed, the sunshine still makes me feel happy!

April 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails