Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Every little child goes through a time when something catches their eye and they become obsessed with a certain theme. It might be all things Elmo, Dora or Barbie, and most of the time parents don't have much control around what their kids become totally over the moon with. I have girlfriends who didn't push the princess envelope at all, but their daughters figured it out on their own and everything had to be pink and princessy.

With all of the potentially mind numbing options out there, I'm pretty happy with Ben's current childhood obsession of Curious George. Last year we were going through a love affair with Teletubbies but that is now thankfully over. I know there are a lot more annoying themes than 'The Man With The Yellow Hat', or in Ben's vocab 'Yellow Man!'. Right now Ben loves all things Curious George and has started to seek out these books when we go to the book shop. He requests them at bedtime and listens intently to each story. He notices if you miss a page and will sit still for an endless amount of moments as long as Curious George is on the agenda.





Today Ben got a new Curious George book from his pal Brooke and he is enthralled with it. He has been sitting on the ground flipping through each page and pointing out the funny parts while having a private giggle. I don't remember what I was obsessed with at Ben's young age. I do have memories of loving all things Cabbage Patch but that was later on.



Ben's newest book for his Curious George collection:

Which character is huge in your household? Do you remember what you were obsessed with back in the day?

9 comments:

Naomi_Mathers said...

Oh man it is all Max and Ruby in our house. My 2 year old girl is obsessed and in love and wants more and more. I didn't push it or even offer Max and Ruby...but she saw a cute stuffie once and got attached. Then once Grandma figured out there was a matching show, well the whole thing clicked and she was hooked.

April 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM  
Kristin said...

Oh, this totally took me back to a time when Kam and I would watch Curious George on TV while eating breakfast....so long ago it seems. *Sigh* She still laughs when she catches an episode of it.
Right now Karis loves "Eh-mo."
Sesame Street is one that they will both tune into...and I LOVE it!
Ya, I was all about the Cabbage Patch Kids, but at a younger age it was my Charlie Cone Head doll. A crazy doll with a plastic clown face and its bright red knobby nose turned and he made music. ; )

April 12, 2011 at 8:27 PM  
Lisa S. said...

Sarah loves Fancy Nancy. She even has a Fancy Nancy backpack. Jack is going through a Toopy and Binoo phase.

April 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM  
Lulumum said...

our pvr is loaded with Toopy Bino, Max and Ruby and Caillou

April 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM  

I like the new Curious George books. When we first read the first of the George books, I was appalled that he smokes, and gets tossed in prison for phoning a wrong number and then ends up in the zoo. LOL. I completely forgot all of that when I was a kid. I like the new ones that look old.

My kids are crazy for the Mr. Men books.

April 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM  
Ashley said...

We love George around here. My very first favourite book was when Curious George went to the hospital. As a kid who spent a ton of time in Children's growing up, that book always made me smile. Still does.

When my Audrey was in the hospital the gift shop had Curious George stuffed monkeys and I just had to buy one. He has a "Get Better Hand" that was just like hers, thanks to some gauze, tape and a few snickers from people passing by but he got her through tests and blood pressure cuffs :)

So glad you guys are enjoying George too!

April 13, 2011 at 7:51 AM  

Oh yes Mr Men! Forgot about those ones. It drives my husbands nuts that Curious George is a 'monkey' when he is clearly not. So, he constantly interrupts with 'he's not a monkey! he has no tail!'. :P

April 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

I'm glad I'm not the only one that bugs. He's not a monkey. I never understand why they didnt change that for the new books. I debate on if I should change that to ape when I read to the kids.

April 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM  
Thewritemama said...

Our new obsession is Max and Ruby (Ruby & Max!). My son is even starting to talk in Maxisms, ie. saying one word at a strategic time...sigh...At least it can keep him busy for a few hours when I have stuff to do! "Bunny hop, mama!" "SUPER bunny!" Wheeeeee

April 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails