Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

A few solid facts about me:

I'm a middle child and I think I sometimes have the classic 'middle child personality'.

I do not rapidly adjust to sudden changes nor do I purposefully seek out changes.

I really love to have things to look forward to and vacations are at the top of my list.

After a short adjustment, I can usually get on with changes and work with what I'm given.

So, here is the scoop...

We had a family vacation planned that had us leaving Vancouver on April 25th, I was beyond excited and ready! It was just a short trip but I was really looking forward to it. For me, anticipating things really helps me focus on getting through exhausting shifts at work. Going on this vacation was like the collecting the prize!

The night before we are set to leave, our dog gets sick. Nothing major or serious but enough to make us worry about sending her off to the neighbours house. We ponder about what we should do being that it's the Easter long weekend and literally 12 hours before we are scheduled to fly out of Vancouver.


Apartment dog getting ready to go outside

Given what we were handed, we made the decision to change our vacation plans. My husband got on with re booking the airline tickets (for a hearty fee of course!) and changing the dates for our hotel. While he did that, I got on with being upset about the change of plans. Even though the intellectual part of me knew that this change was the right thing to do, there was a part of me that was sad. Like sad with tears and a full on case of visual upset! My prize for being chugging through all those busy shifts at work, had changed!

I sort of expected my husband to know these solid facts about me when it comes to change. Instead he looked really flabbergasted and perplexed at my inability to change vacation plans at the drop of a hat. Since he is able to do that easily and without too much over thinking, he really did not get my issues at all. These opposite personality traits of ours are probably why we work well together.



In the end we postponed for two weeks and that was that. We got the same type of flight and rebooked the same suite hotel that I was looking forward to. The kicker is, the dog has been totally and utterly A-OK ever since we change our plans!

10 comments:

Fingers crossed the dog stays that way!

April 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM  

I said the exact same thing to my husband!

April 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM  
Jenna said...

teee heee.
Is the neighbor cool with watching maggie? Or should we be on stand by?

April 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM  
Tarable said...

Dang, I would be upset too. Glad you got to reschedule at least and now have something else to look forward to!

April 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM  
Kristin said...

ARGH! Man! I would totally be like you. It would take me some time to come around. Hope you can wind yourself up for another 2 weeks before you go. Super bummed for you but happy to hear that your dog is loved and taken care of!

April 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM  

Oh Jenna, you have been so very kind with our bumbling plans! So far the neighbour is gung ho for our next attempt at a vacation...but we won't be forgetting your kindness!

April 27, 2011 at 7:38 AM  

Good point. I do like looking forward to things...so this is just the prolonged version ;)

April 27, 2011 at 7:38 AM  
Sarah said...

Well I'm a first born and I really hate it when things don't go according to plan. It's probably the control freak in me. And, I'm right there with you on eagerly anticipating special events - it really keeps me going!

Here's to the next two weeks zooming by! (And happy to hear all is well with Maggie.)

April 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM  
Amands said...

It takes me some time to adjust to changes in plans, too. And of course I, too, have to go through the requisite hand-wringing and feeling sorry for myself before I can suck it up! Well, the good news is, you still get to look forward to your vacation!

April 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM  

Sorry to hear your vacation was postponed. Glad you still get to go and that everything is ok with your cute dog.

April 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails