Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

The Mums Are Talking.....

It seems that mothers are talking and it turns out that there are some very unhappy mamas out there. Its not the terrible twos or the fussy baby or a belligerent preteen being discussed; it turns out that many mamas did not feel properly appreciated or celebrated over Mother's Day two weekends ago.

Not just one friend but multiple friends told me they felt this way. It was also my hardworking coworkers with many mothers day celebrated in the past who felt this, and also a new table mate that I met over a group dinner out. The barely there grocery store flowers did not cut it nor did the belated card.

After really listening to these women and hearing just how let down they felt by this past mothers day, I got to thinking about who is responsible for making Mothers Day truly wonderful? What do you think? Do you think we ask for too much and should be happy with the homemade crafts? Should the fathers step up and recognize the role you play and give you a magnificent celebration?

Wouldn't it be nice if we used Mother's Day as a 'free pass' for you to take care of yourself and do something you really want. Maybe it's okay to take charge of your Mother's Day and, if an afternoon massage and pedicure would make you feel good, then book it if you can!

If you are wondering what I did to celebrate my Mother's Day I did enjoy a day off it started with a bit of a busy brunch out downtown. Nothing raises your blood pressure quite like dining at a nice place with a crazy toddler. Later that Sunday I walked around the city and went shopping for myself and by myself. I had a coffee at a little cafe and enjoyed the afternoon immensely. I even went by a wine shop and participated in a tasting before going home for dinner with a bottle of red. My husband was sweet and made me (my requested) lasagna and we served up the wine. The only thing that I wish that I had done for myself was buy myself a fragrant bouquet.








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I loved my Mother's day. My day was very balanced with time with my kids, breakfast in bed made by my husband, and a very excited 4 1/2 yr old giving me the present she made me. Then in the evening I went out for an adult dinner with my mom and sisters where we had delicious food, some great wine, and a lot of laughs. It was lovely seeing how important the present was that my daughter made and also having some time for myself in the evening. The fact that I didn't receive any lavish gifts really is not important to me...it is the recognition that is the real gift!

May 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM  
Anonymous said...

This was my first Mothers Day, and I had a great relaxing dinner w/ my family (parents and sister included) and loved that I didn't feel guilty about not cleaning up. One small thing that kind of bothered me was that my husband didn't get up w/ the baby in the morning and let me sleep in. This is something I do every single morning and it would have been nice to get a "break" from it.

May 19, 2010 at 8:06 AM  
Husband in the City said...

I'd also like to point out that I made that lasagna from scratch (including the sauce) with our toddler sitting on the counter "helping"!

And I know, I know... I still owe you flowers :D

May 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM  
Anonymous said...

I buy my own gifts now, because it takes the pressure off. This year, I had a friend make me a lovely necklace, not out of macaroni or anything. Once I'm sure I have something I love, the handmade cards and painted flower pots from my kids are FABULOUS.

On the whole, though, I really do wish that there were less pressure surrounding Mother's Day. I think I'd enjoy a day that's more like Father's Day. Have a BBQ in my honour and let me watch whatever I want on TV.

May 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM  
Anonymous said...

I loved my mother's day! I got to sleep in just a little, my family was perfectly happy all day long, we went out for brunch, had a nice long walk, the sun was shining - I loved every second of it!

May 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails