Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Mothers Day Sleep

Last Mothers Day I was a sleep deprived mum with an 8 month old baby that woke up through the night and was still very high needs. My body was aching for some REM sleep and I hadn't sat down for a quiet evening since my pregnancy. I wasn't complaining (too much) because I was just really happy to actually have a baby, but I was still tired. Oh man, was I tired!

I received the very best mothers day present last year compliments of my thoughtful husband. It was my first mothers day and I am pretty sure I will remember this present forever. It was that good! My husband surprised me by booking a hotel room for me in the city...for myself. No husband. No baby. Just me, my bed and some room service.

It was a grand day and I checked in at dinner time and sat on the fluffy duvet and ordered room service with a glass of wine. I watched a cheesy girly movie (for an obscene amount of money) and just laid quietly on the bed. At the time I was still nursing my baby quite frequently so I had a pump nearby to take care of the supply, this was my only interruption for the whole evening.



The true gift was the hours of sleep that I received and the feeling of rest I had when I woke up the next morning. For the first time since becoming a mother my body did not ache in pain from sleep deprivation. I woke up and enjoyed a fabulous room service breakfast perched on the bed.

It turns out that I missed my baby terribly and checked out of the hotel fairly early so I could go home and nurse him but I really really enjoyed my sleep. The lovely long stretch of sleep.... that night was the best gift I could have received. A fabulous and thoughtful gift from my husband who knows just how much I love sleep because I really love sleep.


5 comments:

That sounds the perfect first mothers day!

May 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM  
Anonymous said...

Hope you get a repeat performance this mothers day. Especially as a working mother. I might leave this web page open on our family computer so my husband can see it LOL

-Shareen

May 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM  
Solomama said...

That's exactly what I did!!! LOL

May 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM  
Louise said...

Sleep is a thoughtful mothers day present and so is quite time to yourself. As mothers we often don't get enough of both of those things so it is a true treat when you are given the option.

May 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM  
Harriet said...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails