Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

In The Evening

As soon as Ben goes down for the night, I start to shut down and go into a vegetative state in my living room. I have fallen into this routine of relaxing and lounging and doing nothing truly productive except organizing my PVR. I know many mums who use the evenings to get real things done. You know, like catching up on laundry (blah!) or working on projects or maybe even going out to the gym. I even know a few who take the evening to work on their masters.

The thing is, I really quite enjoy my lazy quiet evenings at home and they are pretty well counterbalanced by the busy days we have and the early morning starts too! At the same time, I just can't help but feel like I am missing out on something by retreating to my couch or bathtub by 7:30 PM each evening.




I know some of you might be thinking, 'What!? Another sleeping baby picture!' but I can't help myself. A sleeping child is so innocent and peaceful. Don't you think? What do you do with your evenings?

5 comments:

I'm the same as you, I do nothing with my evenings and feel guilty about it every night! I'm not a mum though so you have an excuse!

May 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM  

My evenings are busy. I make lunches for the next day (if it's a day I have to work), I load the dishwasher, I wipe down the counters, I sweep the floors, I go to the gym, I sit and drink tea and blog. It's all about the multi-tasking and getting things done. But on Tuesday nights, everything stops at 8:55 pm. Because at 9 o'clock, LOST is on!

May 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM  
Jenna said...

Nighttime=bliss
My hubby works nights. He leaves at 4:00 p.m and gets home at 5:00 a.m. I took me a while after I had Luca to get used to this idea, but now that i'm in the swing of things life is good.
She is in bed by 7:30, 7:35 I pour myself a much needed glass of wine, or cup of tea, make a nice dinner and sit down either facebook, mommy blog, watch a movie.. do something relaxing.
I used to dread the nights because at 5:00 on the DOT her colic would start. But not anymore!!!!
*sip

May 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM  
Unknown said...

Once the kids are in bed it is so lovely. I look forward to that down time each night. I am fortunate that both kids are usually in bed by 7 or 7:30 and then it is time to relax. I watch t.v., check email or blogs etc or read. I have scrap booking calling my name, but have not been able to go there lately. But on the nights where I have to work the next day, there is the dreaded lunches to make. I try to get those out of the way right away so I don't have them hanging over my head during my down time.

May 12, 2010 at 6:22 AM  
Kristen said...

I love my sleeping children pictures too!

May 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails