Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

I have always been a collector of books and at one point I had a bookcase filled with lovely interesting literature. All were well read, some had ruffled corners from accidentally being dipped into bath water and some had folded downed corners and wrinkled covers. As I collected more and more book I ended up having to get rid of a lot of filler books and only keep the books that were important to me. The thing with apartment living is that these is a lack of space and there is no room for an accumulation of so-so books.

My top books that I read again and again.........

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb is the first book that got me really interested and I've read it about five times. I love the story line and the characters. I especially loved that such an interesting lead female character could be written so well by a man. I actually didn't totally get that a man had written this beautiful book until I flipped the book over mid read the first time around.
Hosted by imgur.com


Midwives- A Novel by Chris Bohjalian
A powerful read that captured my interest way before I was a RN and interested in birth and maternity. I found the conflict in this book full of suspense. It had me feeling anxious and worried and reading page after page with intensity.
Hosted by imgur.com


My third book that I always keep despite frequent book purging is The Birth House by Ami Mckay. Again, I found this book way before I had a real passion for birth and the subject still stuck with me.
Hosted by imgur.com


Of course I will admit to my love of chic lit and light novels that are full of amusement and escape. Jennifer Weiner's book Good in Bed feels that need right up! A sexy plus size character deals with love and relationships and had me flipping pages late at night.
Hosted by imgur.com


The last book of choice is Hurry Down Sunshine written by Michael Greenberg. My parents gave me this book for Christmas when Ben was a crying infant. Somehow amidst the chaos I was able to read this and devour each page of this story. It is written by a father who details that story of his teenage daughter who "was struck mad".
Hosted by imgur.com

Have you read any of my favourites? What do you keep on your book shelf?

6 comments:

Jill @BabyRabies said...

I love She's Come Undone, haven't read it since college. Unfortunately, I haven't read much in the last few years outside the scope of blogs. I am a big fan of Maureen Lipinski, though. She's a new author, just published her first book A Bump In The Road. Hilarious. You've inspired me, I think. I may just have to get one or two of these.

March 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM  
Alana said...

I love all Jennifer Weiner books. She is an authentic and hilarious writer who really knows how to write about the real thoughts of women. I love all her books!!!!!

March 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM  
Amanda Brown said...

She's Come Undone is in my TOP FIVE BEST BOOKS OF ALL TIME list.
The others, in my opinion, include:

Fall On Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

And, well, I am drawing a blank right now on my others, but there you go. Both of them are phenomenal.

March 8, 2010 at 7:18 PM  
Accidental Pharmacist said...

I loved The Birth House and Good In Bed. Haven't read Hurry Down Sunshine yet. I also really loved Fall On Your Knees.

Two recent favourites of mine were 'The Housekeeper and the Professor' by Yoko Ogawa and 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery. They were both fantastic and not something I would've generally picked up. I've started keeping track of my reading on www.Goodreads.com and heard of the books from some friends on there (worth checking out if you haven't yet).

I'm with you on the condo books though - I've been getting rid of books for a while now and am down to keepers like Harry Potter, The Road and (ahem) Twilight.

March 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM  
Helen Monroe said...

Wonderful condensed list of book goodness. I am with you about over collecting stuff especially books. I am a huge fan of all things chic lit and love Jennifer Weiner too!!

March 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

She's come undone is one of the greatest books I've ever read. Great list.

March 12, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails