Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Fashion Malfunction: I Refuse To Wear Mum Jeans

I am in a rut right now. That zone of feeling not so fashionable and overall quite uninspired. Before I became a mum I regularly took my fashion sense and pay check to different shops and splurged on different pieces. Putting together outfits and mixing and matching accessories to help create 'looks'. I used to put great effort into my wardrobe and will even confess to paying $300+ for a one of a kind belt while on a shopping spree in Toronto.

Back when my husband and I were dating my sweet mother in law gave me the heads up that I was over dressed for the outing we had planned. If I can remember, back to 2001, I think I had on a black skirt and a top with some sandals but I was still over dressed for the crowd, not that I minded too much. I've always liked to look put together and current and I just like to feel good about myself. Dressing nicely makes me feel good about myself.

When I got pregnant I still spent a ridiculous amount of money on maternity clothing from brands like Ripe and Zara Mum. That $300 belt had to be put away because it didn't work with my growing belly but there were enough cool pieces on line or in the shops to keep me looking fantastic through out my pregnancy.

Once my baby came I kept putting off buying nice pieces of clothing because I was breastfeeding (and leaking!). I became a jeans and t shirt kind of girl and that was just fine. I was the Gap's #1 spokesperson and found tops that stretched nicely for nursing my baby and jeans that sucked in my post partum tummy.

It didn't really matter what I looked like because Ben was usually in a sling across my body. In my head I kept on thinking that I would loose that last 8 lbs of pregnancy weight and so I held off on buying anything really nice. The weight was just another reason not to indulge on any real clothing budget and I continued my 'stuck in a rut' feeling but just sort of dealt with it.

The thing is, my child is now almost 1.5 years old and I have not been nursing for almost 6 months. Yet, my closet is still on hold and I am starting to feel more than just stuck. I am terrified of wearing 'mom jeans' or getting a 'mom haircut' and giving up all together on wanting to look and feel a certain way. I don't need to spend bucks of cash on fancy name brand designer cuts but I do want to feel good!

I'm not sure how to change this current state of mind and get out of my fashion rut. I think that I just need the time to peruse and try on items without Ben wandering around the tiny change room while I try to get in and out of jeans. Of course the loss of the 8 lbs would help and a little extra cash would also do the trick.

How can I get out of my fashion rut and start feeling like my old fashionista self? I'm not even talking about high end runway fashion. I just want to get kick started on my daily wardrobe! What tricks do you have up your sleeve to make yourself feel good?

To start get started here is '10 Easy Ways to Update Your Spring Wardrobe' from In Style magazine or 'The Instant Gratification' from J Crew.

PS. Don't forget to check out the post underneath to enter a fun giveaway contest. Contest closes Friday at 8 AM!

4 comments:

Amanda Brown said...

Hmm, I really resonate with this. I love getting dressed up and wearing tailored clothes that work with my body shape, but since this third pregnancy I have been feeling frumpy. I am hoping that once I am more into the 2nd trimester and look more pregnant, instead of people just wondering if I've really let myself go, then I'll be more motivated to play with my fashion choices. I did find a beautiful Isabella Oliver wrap dress on eBay and while it's not quite warm enough for it yet, I think it will be a great summer piece that I can dress up or dress down.
When I'm not pregnant and feeling in a fashion rut I love combing through the J.Crew catalogue for inspiration and then seeking out similar pieces at a thrift store (I love the thrill of the hunt) or hitting up Winners and getting some nice designer articles for a reasonable price.
Good luck. You look great in all your photos, though! :)

February 17, 2010 at 5:23 PM  
Sharlene said...

Well, we can't always look like Victoria Beckham now can we. Why not? Because we are real mom's on the go and that imagery she creates is just that. Imagery. Even she said that when you are in a funk just make sure to have some big sunnies on and a nice bag and you are golden.

February 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM  
Mira said...

well, you know what? The most important thing is that you are aware of your current mom-situation and that you have set your min which will stop you of letting yourself go. I'm sure you will figure out something. :)
www.anotherafwife.blogspot.com

February 18, 2010 at 3:29 AM  
Koo & Poppet said...

I totally hear you Andrea! I wear "loungewear" (read: sweatpants) WAY more than a self-professed fashionista should! However, I don't think it's just motherhood that has been the cause of this....I think it's moving back to the island, and "country" island at that. When I visit Vancouver I'm always like "OH RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT, this is how we dress here".

So you are probably in fact dressed like a sophisticated urbanite compared to me, but regardless - I always find that the right accessories do the trick, like a perfect lightweight scarf. And maybe some bright spring colours? When I'm in a fashion rut I don't go shopping at the mainstream stores....I go for vintage one-of-a-kind pieces.

Go forth and prosper fellow fashionista!!! :)

February 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails