Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Feeling grumpy and blogging about it

I am just chugging through on to my second night shift and am complaining miserably to myself and possibly my husband. I feel gross and unhealthy and am getting ready to go for my final 12.25 hour shift in a little bit. This is the life of a shift working nurse and my reality. No matter how tired I felt in the first year of Ben's life, shift work officially knocks you out.

My biggest pet peeve is when people assume you just need a tiny nap after you come home in the morning. I have heard it multiple times from different people and it always grates on my nerves. It usually goes something like this:

Annoying Person: Hey Mama, how are things going with you?
Mama in thy City: Oh, not so bad but I did just get off a night shift this morning.
AP: Oh yeah. So, what are your big plans for today? Since it sounds like you are on days off now.
MIC: Well, I just got off this morning. As in, I am tired and feel jet lagged but didn't travel anywhere. I need to go to bed.
AP: So you will have a nap then? Lucky! A nap is so nice! I would LOVE a nap!
MIC: Umm...well no not a nap a sleep. Cause I worked all night long..like all night long while you were sleeping and relaxing. Know what I mean?
AP: Well, I guess so but it is day time?? ( Looks confused, does not understand the whole night shift deal)
MIC: Yes, after working all night long I need to go to bed. Just like I would at night. For a good chunk of hours. Just like you did last night.
AP: Oh. Well have a good nap then. Lucky you!

This is my real life conversation with an Annoying Person.

PS. One of my girlfriends that I work with is a single mama in the city and she does not get a nap nor a sleep after her last night shift. She deserves a big prize in my opinion!

6 comments:

Shona said...

Enjoy your well deserved sleep, and once you get up start your day with a great bath and kiss from both hubby and baby, then perhaps a nicely brewed coffee.
S

January 9, 2010 at 7:05 PM  
Lindsey said...

So true... it's amazing how many people don't I understand what it's like. I hope you get a good rest Andrea... I also hope night shift wasn't to killer on you...linds

January 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM  
trudy said...

andrea, i understand, i used to work night shift only once in a while and i would be so out of kilter for a few days from one night shift. aren't u lucky to have such a good husband that helps and understands, hmm, i wonder who raised him? (he was always an understanding personality) now if u can train ben to want to let u sleep. LOve, MOM

January 10, 2010 at 6:32 AM  
Kristen said...

I grew up in a home with an RN - it was just known that whatever you did in the house you did not make noise or wake Mom up after she worked her late shift and night call. You let her sleep, period!

January 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM  
Helena said...

Silly person why would they assume that working a night shift is easy and just needs a little nap to recover? Don't worry little mama, take all the sleep that you need. I am sure you work very hard.

January 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM  
mitzi said...

I love how you bolded "Annoying Person" lol!

January 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails