Mama in the City

A blog about raising my family in downtown Vancouver

Hey Ladies! All The Ladies!

This weekend I spent some time out with girlfriends and catching up with them. Friday evening I met up with some glorious girlfriends that I used to work with, back when I was a fresh brand new shiny nurse. We had drinks and dinner at Coast downtown and it was lovely to see these ladies (Candice, Bal and Harman this is for you!). I love going out for dinner and have missed it so much. All that the leisurely eating with cloth napkins and multiple forks. It was so nice and I was so happy. Today I followed up with a coffee and shopping trip with my gal Krista. There was a trip to Sephora to buy presents and a trip to my favorite Caffe Artigiano to sip cappuccino before heading home.

I can't help but be a little reminiscent today and do the whole, 'a year ago today' deal; a year ago today I was in labor and waiting to see if I was having a boy or a girl. I was 36 weeks along and was being induced for high blood pressure and a few days later I had Ben. It's a really good feeling to think about where I was one year ago and where I am today.

Being able to be a good mum and also stay in contact with girlfriends is important to me and I try to make it a priority when I have some spare time. Of course you have to be realistic and something has to give or at least change. So, dinner on Friday night is now at 6 PM and not 9 PM. Coffee out is scheduled around your babies nap time and your shopping is focused.

I guess that Jennifer Lopez was right; "There's you before kids, and there's you after kids – and they're not the same you."Yeah, that is quite true but this past weekend there were moments where I really felt like my old self.

3 comments:

Bal said...

Awww! Andrea...you are a great friend, amazing women...and the bestest super mom!!!! Have an awesome time on your 10 day Maui trip, you deserve it.
Yes we are not the same after kids..but we for sure have the same love or not more for our friends and family..it just that we can not spend that much time with each other, but when we do get together it feels soooo good!! ...however, we do talk a lot about our kids and hubbies..lol!!:))

lots of love

your friend Bal

September 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM  
Mama in the City said...

So sweet Bal! Thanks for the major compliments. I think I will mention you more often if I need a little pick me up ;) It is funny how once you are away from your family you end up talking about them. So true!

September 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Guest said...

Thank you Andrea for helping to organize the get together! You are a great friend and one I hope to keep for a long time to come. It was great to see you and to catch up! I enjoyed the night out with all the ladies and didn't mind the conversations about the kids and hubbies including my own...hee hee. Definitely have to do it again and with more of our lady friends that missed out on the great night out! Also thank you for the mention of me in your blog, so awesome! It was also great to see Ben and Alex! Your little boy is growing up so fast and I wish I could of spent more time with him, what a joy! I even got to hear his musical talent and hear him say mum! Yay!

Love & Hugs,

Candice

September 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails